iPod Photo - Pics from G5, Music from G3

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Sorry about the cryptic title... but I couldn't think of a good one...

Situation:

I've got all my music on my PM G3 server, but I've got all my photos on my PM G5. I've got both computers hooked up to a powered FW hub, then I connected my iPod photo to the hub also. When I put the iPod photo in the dock, it only shows up on the G5, not on the G3.

(by the way, looking at the System Profiler on each Mac, the Firewire section shows each computer and the iPod)

My question is how can I get the iPod to sync with both computers (photos only on the G5 and music only on the G3)?

The way I'm doing it now is to sync each one seperatly (hooking the iPod up to each computer manually, then syncing). It's not the most graceful of solutions. Does anyone know a way to get it to work easily?

(I did a search in the threads here, but didn't find anything... Don't thrash me if you did, you maybe have better searching skills than I do )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fulmer

Sorry about the cryptic title... but I couldn't think of a good one...

Situation:

I've got all my music on my PM G3 server, but I've got all my photos on my PM G5. I've got both computers hooked up to a powered FW hub, then I connected my iPod photo to the hub also. When I put the iPod photo in the dock, it only shows up on the G5, not on the G3.

(by the way, looking at the System Profiler on each Mac, the Firewire section shows each computer and the iPod)

My question is how can I get the iPod to sync with both computers (photos only on the G5 and music only on the G3)?

The way I'm doing it now is to sync each one seperatly (hooking the iPod up to each computer manually, then syncing). It's not the most graceful of solutions. Does anyone know a way to get it to work easily?

(I did a search in the threads here, but didn't find anything... Don't thrash me if you did, you maybe have better searching skills than I do )

you can't. You can automatically sync with one device only, to avoid copying music etc.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    According to the Apple website, you can sync 2 computers.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...num=60920#faq5
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

According to the Apple website, you can sync 2 computers.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...num=60920#faq5

well theyre talking about syncing everything with one, then everything with another.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    So in otherwords, I'm out of luck...?

Bummer

I guess I'll just have to continue switching the plug back and forth, or think of something different (export my iPhoto album to the G3 server...)\
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

So in otherwords, I'm out of luck...?

Bummer

I guess I'll just have to continue switching the plug back and forth, or think of something different (export my iPhoto album to the G3 server...)\

move your photo library to the G3, then set the G3 up in taget mode, and just leave it connected to the G5. iPhoto and iTunes work really well with libraries stored on external drives.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

move your photo library to the G3, then set the G3 up in taget mode, and just leave it connected to the G5. iPhoto and iTunes work really well with libraries stored on external drives.

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunatly I can't leave the G3 in target mode because it's also my webserver. Need it to be up 24/7.

I'm using the G3 to host my website, run my mail server and store all my music. I guess I'll just add "store my photos" to the list