Time required for G5 Fab

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I spoke to my brother works for a semiconductor company in a design/test role (I'd rather not say who, but it is not MOT).

He says that it is quite possible to ramp up production on a chip once it has "gone final" so it could be in a shipping product in like 60 days or so.

Of course, this varies widely. But he did say it was very possible depending on the companies involved.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    The question really is, when will the G5 reach maturity? When will it be ready for market? <a href="http://www.macosrumors.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.macosrumors.com/</a>; once said that current (November) speeds were not much better than G4.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>The question really is, when will the G5 reach maturity? When will it be ready for market? <a href="http://www.macosrumors.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.macosrumors.com/</a>; once said that current (November) speeds were not much better than G4.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think that's right. I heard very positive things on that site....if they can be believed
  • Reply 3 of 11
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    Its not whether the site can be believed its whether the sites sources can be believed.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Duh.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It's obvious that the site makes no attempt to filter any of the 'sources.' It's just some imaginative crap dressed up to look like the result of some industry detective work -- only it's so amateurish it makes me cry (from laughter)

Remember when C|net mis-linked or otherwise sloppily pieced together an i2DVD story & link. Obviously, someone connected Apple shipping a boxed iDVD 2 with somekind of DVD hardware box That retard (Meader) turned it into a rumor! ahahaha The site went so far as to say it's 'sources' indicate that Apple is looking at creating hardware that shares nomenclature with certain Apple software counterparts! BULLSHIT. He could have at least tried to invent some creative bullshit -- lame.

I sincerely hope no one pays for the 'special subscriber editions' **puke** What an POS web site. Total crap. Someone on these boards, I think, once had the idea of donating $0.25 to his pay-pal because it costs more than that to clear the transaction, that way your donation would actually cost him money. Ahahaha!!! I think that's a great idea. Would it really work? If so, I'm going to make about 100 25 cent donations.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    &lt;Junkyard Dawg&gt;

hey, check dis out. koay i invited this guy over to my place and heworks for ApplE and tests all kinds of prototype untis. he was like no way i can't tell you anything so i got him totally smashed over some tequila and rum and some really nasty budwieser. he toatlly spilled the beasn!!!!! a'ight get this, heres the real story behind the g5 production. motorrolla has been seceretly been developing it with ApplE for the past year and hit the 1.0 revision back in april!!1!!1! teh new fabs rolling off the line are at 1.8 and ready for mass-production and shipping to ApplE. my friend only knew about the bottom lien speed being at least 1.8 GHz!!!!!11!!! and the top being near 2.4!!!1!!!! this macworld is gonna rock da houze.

&lt;/Junkyard Dawg&gt;
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Sorry, but everytime a see "I spoke to my brother who works for x company" I have to laugh with distrust and think back to good ol reliable JD.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    jd got drunk with steve jobs once. True story.

Regarding the original post... I'd have to say that unless your brother works for moto and specifically on the G5, his guess is probably as good anyone elses. There are too many variables to consider.

[quote]But he did say it was very possible depending on the companies involved. <hr></blockquote>

Remember, this is moto we're talking about.
  • Reply 9 of 11

so where´s JYD? i haven´t seen him for a looong time.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Well, my brother does work for a chip company and that IS what he said. Don't read too much into it. He was just saying that it was possible. Some people have said that it WASN"T at all....I disagreed and went to him for an answer. Tha's all.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    <strong>Originally posted by SDW2001:

He says that it is quite possible to ramp up production on a chip once it has "gone final" so it could be in a shipping product in like 60 days or so.</strong>

Ask him how it takes for a chip to have "gone final".