PowerBook G5 or iBook G4 and PowerMac G5

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I really want a PowerBook G5 but am getting tired off my computer and its slowness! I can spend up to £4,000 and want to get a computer that will last me 4/5 years (through uni). Should I wait for a PowerBook G5 or should I get a PowerMac G5 (Dual 1.8 GHz) and an iBook G4 12"? I want it for 2D and maybe 3D graphics. However I don't like the idea of two computers, this has got me in a real dilemma actually. Why pay so much for a laptop when you can get two computers for the same price?



Does anyone here have two computers?



thank you

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Ton's of people have two computers. I have 4 personally; 3 of which I use consistantly. I have a Rev.B 12" Powerbook, an original dual 2.0 Powermac G5, an old dual 533mhz G4 tower that I use as a music server (300 GB total storage of which only about 100GB used so far), and an evil, evil Dell with a 1.0 Ghz Piii. Forced to use the thing because of some statistical programs that I need for school. Could get them for Mac, but I get the windows versions for free.



    Anywho, wait until after MWSF to decide what you want to do. Having 2 computers isnt that hard. Get bluetooth moduales in both and file transferring is super easy. The iBooks are perfect school especially when you factor in the student store discounts. Do you really need a Powermac, though? Doesn't seem like you are going to be doing anything over intense that would require it. I don't know. It's your money. Don't count out the PB G5's just yet, no matter what anyone says. No one but internal operations at Apple know when it is going to be released.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I have two computers, a 1.25GHz PowerBook G4 and a 20" (50.8cm ) iMac G5. Honestly since I've bought the iMac, my PowerBook has seen very light duty. I've used it when I want to compute from the couch, or the few occasions I want to compute away from home, but these opportunities have greatly decreased since I finished school (I've considered selling it actually).



    Your idea of a desktop + iBook may be your best bet considering your desire to do 2D & 3D imaging. The PMac allows you to replace your video card in the future (very important in 3D since GPUs are still advancing at a speedy rate), while the iBook allows you to take notes in class, at the library, in study groups, etc. I found using my own laptop made completing my CS assignments much easier than spending all my days in the computing lab.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    One more thing, this should probably be in Current Hardware or General Discussion since there's no talk of future hardware in this thread.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    thanks (to both of you) It was a kind of spur of the moment decision - like hang on I could get what I want without having to wait for a PowerBook G5. The iBook does everything the PowerBook does, except the backlit keyboard and external monitors.



    One thing that worries me is the synchronising the data between two computers etc. It would be nice to have a lot of processign power on the road, and as a student i don;t want to have to lug around two computers (but i would be getting a 20" Monitor whatever). urgh!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

    One more thing, this should probably be in Current Hardware or General Discussion since there's no talk of future hardware in this thread.



    i was wondering that but i do mention PowerBook G5 - which is a future hardware product (eventually)!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    I really want a PowerBook G5 but am getting tired off my computer and its slowness! I can spend up to £4,000 and want to get a computer that will last me 4/5 years (through uni). Should I wait for a PowerBook G5 or should I get a PowerMac G5 (Dual 1.8 GHz) and an iBook G4 12"? I want it for 2D and maybe 3D graphics. However I don't like the idea of two computers, this has got me in a real dilemma actually. Why pay so much for a laptop when you can get two computers for the same price?



    Does anyone here have two computers?



    thank you




    see my sig. Dual 2.5 G5 and 12" pbook 1.33Ghz. it rocks because i take notes and do on-campus stuff with the powerbook and then use the G5 for video work and homework. i'm still working out my own ways of *cheaply* syncing data between the two. so far i have perfect calendar integration (without wasting money on .mac), iTunes is almost there (keeping ratings and play counts in sync), and some applescripts for remotely doing random things to whichever computer i'm not using. I would get both computers or jsut the desktop. if i had to, i could go without the laptop. also, if you spend all the money on a laptop, its probably gonna be bigger than you'd like and you wouldnt carry it around. 2cents
  • Reply 7 of 16
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    i was wondering that but i do mention PowerBook G5 - which is a future hardware product (eventually)!



  • Reply 8 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ipodandimac

    see my sig. Dual 2.5 G5 and 12" pbook 1.33Ghz. it rocks because i take notes and do on-campus stuff with the powerbook and then use the G5 for video work and homework. i'm still working out my own ways of *cheaply* syncing data between the two. so far i have perfect calendar integration (without wasting money on .mac), iTunes is almost there (keeping ratings and play counts in sync), and some applescripts for remotely doing random things to whichever computer i'm not using. I would get both computers or jsut the desktop. if i had to, i could go without the laptop. also, if you spend all the money on a laptop, its probably gonna be bigger than you'd like and you wouldnt carry it around. 2cents



    you would cope with an iBook though wouldn't you? Really thinking about all the logistics i don't want more than one computer and I want a laptop but a fast one. BUT the PowerBooks are so expensive. It's enough to drive me crazy
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Interesting. Haha



    I'm not in the same situation as you, but they do have similarities.



    I had the iMac G4 (800mhz, sd, 15") and I just purchased a PowerMac G5 DP 2Ghz and a 23" Cinema Display in mid August. I LOVE my G5 with all my heart (well you know what I mean) but sometimes I just want to take it with me, so I grab my iBook 800Mhz G3 (yea, where did the power go, it's like going from a Maybach to a Honda). I hate this. It's hard to have to worry about everything syncing all the time and you can't simply switch computers when your in the middle of a project or working on an assignment. You can of course, but not without spending extra time.



    Loving the Power of the PowerMac G5 and 23" Cinema



    Loving the portability of my iBook (I take it to school often, I'm a freshmen (9th grade))



    I wish there was a way to pack the power of a G5 and the portability of my iBook into one lightweight laptop... such as the PowerBook 15.4 (imagine, G5 2Ghz (dual core?))... that'd be perfect



    So. Do you want to have a laptop for notes and a desktop for all your design work or if you just want more speed? So I'd recommend hanging on as long as you can with what you have. (I'm hoping Apple releases the new PowerBooks soon, it'd be nice to be able to trade my PowerMac in for $4,000-$4,500) Then swinging the purchase with a Powerbook G5 15.4".



  • Reply 10 of 16
    In terms of longevity (like 4-5 years), a dual processor Powermac G5 will do you much better. I'd avoid spending big bucks on a portable. It'll also give you far better performance than the current lineup of Powerbook G4s. If I were you, go the cheapest dual, up the RAM and hard drive, get a 20" widescreen and if you've got any bucks left over get a second hand portable or the cheapest iBook. Remember you pay hefty premium for the pbooks and they'll never be able to match a desktop performance wise. Sure they have the wow factor I guess but they'll probably also get beaten up a bit if you carry

    them frequently to and from uni and I bet you wouldn't last 4 years without being disappointed either with performance or with the scratches on the nice aluminium!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Numbers....ugh....I hate to even think what I spent, but a Dual G4 PowerMac, PowerBook G4 (867MHz), 2 iMac G3s. And I have gotten rid of one recently. Oh I guess you could consider the HP SA1100 server I have running OpenDarwin. Not really a Mac, but running Darwin as stable as can be for almost a year now.



    Definitely time for a few to begone and a G5 PowerBook to find its way into my home
  • Reply 12 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by s.metcalf

    In terms of longevity (like 4-5 years), a dual processor Powermac G5 will do you much better. I'd avoid spending big bucks on a portable. It'll also give you far better performance than the current lineup of Powerbook G4s. If I were you, go the cheapest dual, up the RAM and hard drive, get a 20" widescreen and if you've got any bucks left over get a second hand portable or the cheapest iBook. Remember you pay hefty premium for the pbooks and they'll never be able to match a desktop performance wise. Sure they have the wow factor I guess but they'll probably also get beaten up a bit if you carry

    them frequently to and from uni and I bet you wouldn't last 4 years without being disappointed either with performance or with the scratches on the nice aluminium!




    I don't really want a huge desktop though! It's a real dilemma, i need a laptop and i don;t want two computers. I don;t need a G5 PowerMac but i do want the thing to last. I'll wit for a G5 powerbook, hopefully it's soon!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    When the G5 iMacs were announced I was in a squash.



    I was recently hired by apple and received a 12" powerbook. I got my logic board fixed on my old iBook and I originally bought a 15" powerbook to replace the crapped out iBook.



    So all in the end I was with 12" iBook (be it really slow), 12" powerbook, & 15" powerbook.



    So I sold the 15" on ebay (for what I originally paid for it last spring- nice companion while on study abroad). I ordered my iMac G5 the week after they were announced.



    While only having 1 primary computer (15") it was great- nice screen, semi-fast, portable, etc.



    Now I'm working with the iMac & 12" powerbook- my iBook is setup as a server serving my web sites. I really hate having 2 computers. It sucks that everything isn't in one place (calendars & addresses & bookmarks are no problem with .mac). But I have some MP3's on my powerbook and all of them on my iMac. Some notes on the powerbook- all of them on the iMac (but not the same ones).



    IT SUCKS! I'll probably get rid of everything once the powerbook G5's are announced and just get a 15" with external display (23" hopefully).



    Hope this helps.



    -taco
  • Reply 14 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by tacojohn

    When the G5 iMacs were announced I was in a squash.



    I was recently hired by apple and received a 12" powerbook. I got my logic board fixed on my old iBook and I originally bought a 15" powerbook to replace the crapped out iBook.



    So all in the end I was with 12" iBook (be it really slow), 12" powerbook, & 15" powerbook.



    So I sold the 15" on ebay (for what I originally paid for it last spring- nice companion while on study abroad). I ordered my iMac G5 the week after they were announced.



    While only having 1 primary computer (15") it was great- nice screen, semi-fast, portable, etc.



    Now I'm working with the iMac & 12" powerbook- my iBook is setup as a server serving my web sites. I really hate having 2 computers. It sucks that everything isn't in one place (calendars & addresses & bookmarks are no problem with .mac). But I have some MP3's on my powerbook and all of them on my iMac. Some notes on the powerbook- all of them on the iMac (but not the same ones).



    IT SUCKS! I'll probably get rid of everything once the powerbook G5's are announced and just get a 15" with external display (23" hopefully).



    Hope this helps.



    -taco




    thank you - that was what i was worried about. I think i'm going to wait for a G5 it's the ultimate gadget anywho!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Hmmm. Methinks the important point to come out of this thread is the lack of good (read: easy to use) synchronization software.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,657member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

    Hmmm. Methinks the important point to come out of this thread is the lack of good (read: easy to use) synchronization software.



    i concur
Sign In or Register to comment.