Calling all GB musicians!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am the proud owner of PTLE via the Mbox. It handles audio wonderfully. However, it suck at midi (or I do). At any rate, I find it so much easier to just lay midi tracks in GB, convert them into aiff and import the into PT. GB handles midi extremely well. What I need are more software instruments that will work seamlessly with GB. GB has some good ones but I need more. More keyboards, drums, guitars, etc. The JamPacks seem to be oriented towards loops. I do not use loops. I make my own music. I just need more quality sounds to make it with. Any and all advice will be treasured.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 8
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Are you a .Mac member?

Quote:

300 Jam Pack Loops-Free Download

.Mac brings you the perfect opportunity to explore the power of GarageBand and the loops and software instruments from Jam Packs 1, 2, and 3. We've placed 300 loops from Jam Packs 1, 2, and 3 in the Members Only folder in the Software folder on your iDisk, and they're ready to download. You can use loops on their own for iMovie soundtracks and other multimedia projects or mix them in GarageBand to create complete musical masterpieces.

There might be a bunch of good instruments in there. I'm downloading them now to check it out.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Cake

[B]Are you a .Mac member?

Nope. That's a pretty nice perk though.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Try

http://www.wizoosounds.com/

http://www.hammersound.net/

I can't figure out how to use these sounds with GB.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

I can't figure out how to use these sounds with GB.

you might have to use apple's SDK to convert them (i say this not really knowing what i am talking about, or having looked at those instruments). macaddict has a pretty decent garageband book on the shelves at borders you might want to flip through. they give a lot of hints about stuff squirreled away in GB, as well as free add-ons, that are otherwise pretty well hidden.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    regarding soundfonts see this page for a cheap little app to get them into GB. I haven't tried it, so no clue how well it works.

http://andydrabble.users.btopenworld.../moreinfo.html
  • Reply 7 of 8
    To use soundfonts in Garageband, you need to put them in ~/Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks. In Garageband, double-click on the track to bring up the track info window. In the "Generator" drop-down menu, select "DLSMusicDevice." This will let you select any of the soundfonts installed in the above location.

In my experience, DLSMusicDevice eats way more cycles than it should, and really doesn't work very well. SoundFont Synth works much better, with the advantage that you can install soundfonts anywhere you like.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by dylanw23

To use soundfonts in Garageband, you need to put them in ~/Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks. In Garageband, double-click on the track to bring up the track info window. In the "Generator" drop-down menu, select "DLSMusicDevice." This will let you select any of the soundfonts installed in the above location.

In my experience, DLSMusicDevice eats way more cycles than it should, and really doesn't work very well. SoundFont Synth works much better, with the advantage that you can install soundfonts anywhere you like.

Thank you for this and all the other useful tips and links. I hope this thread stays alive for a while because I know I can't be the only one who can benefit from it. You folks have changed my GarageBand using life.