PowerBook Qualm

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have my powerbook on my desk and like it to be pretty neat when i can but i have so many peripherals and cable connected to it. With most laptops, the cables plug mainly into the back of the machine, in the powerbook its strictly on the sides no plugs in the back, while this is cool for portability and easy acces, as its sitting on my table i got cables everywhere. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any type of docking station available to cut down on the cables?

Logan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I love having the connectors on the sides for most situations. However, I really wish Apple would release a docking station. I have to have extra space cleared on both sides of the Powerbook when I bring it home because of this.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

I have my powerbook on my desk and like it to be pretty neat when i can but i have so many peripherals and cable connected to it. With most laptops, the cables plug mainly into the back of the machine, in the powerbook its strictly on the sides no plugs in the back, while this is cool for portability and easy acces, as its sitting on my table i got cables everywhere. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any type of docking station available to cut down on the cables?

Logan

it's a portable and having them on the sides is better for portability and easy access. can't have the everything.

I have TiBook and wish the ports were on the sides even though 90% of my usage is at a desk.

I haven't seen a docking solution for powerbooks since the pismo days. Not sure how much better one would be anyways since it wouldnt reduce much of the clutter from the sides
  • Reply 3 of 12
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Have you looked at BookEndz line of docks? Not a mobile owner, so don't shoot the messenger.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Those book endz docks are nice.

http://www.photo-control.com/bookendz/be03g415.htm

That one would fit my needs but it is 15 inch only and i have a 17 inch

Any thing else like that?

Logan
  • Reply 5 of 12
    The way I've dealt with that problem is the following:

I hooked up all my peripherals to my iMac G4 upstairs, and just set up a wireless LAN. That way my printers, external hardrive, iPod, etc., are/get hooked up to my non mobile machine in my bedroom (with all the cables behind it), and just set up my beautiful 17" PB in my office downstairs and share the peripherals. Slick, eh?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Very, too bad this is my only computer.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    I have the same 17" as my only computer and had/have the same issues. Too many cables. Don't know your budget or what you have connected but here is what I did. To get rid of printer and speaker cable I picked up airtunes so that hides/gets rid of those two cables off the computer and the desk it sits on. For future, I will pick up a bluetooth wirelss mouse to get rid of that cable and when I switch to wireless internet using the AirTunes box I can get rid of the phone cable, leaving only the power cord when plugged in. I suppose if there are extra hard drives, or what not that would still leave extra cables, but I only have the computer for now. Also, Ikea sells these neat little cable management hoses. They are grey plastic, slit down one side length wise and very flexible. So if you do have a lot of cables you can still hide them at least in one enclosure. Don't know if any of that helps.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Actually yea, will try those methods.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    How does airport express/ airtunes work, could i plug in my JBL creature speakers to those?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    With AirTunes you plug in the airtunes powerbrick into the wall and run your speaker wire into it. It's both a good thing and bad. Only iTunes will play through it(wish apple would figure out how to let system/computer sounds go thorugh so I could listen to game music). But you can place the speakers wherever you want, as long as the line in/out RCA jack cord is attached to the Airtunes brick/module(still not sure what to call it). You will then go through airport assistant setup in your utilities folder, which I think is in the applications folder.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Does the internet cable have to be plugged into it to just for speaker use?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Internet cable? I use dial-up so my phone cord is plugged into the computer and I have speaker wire and printer cable plugged into the AirTunes. So you shouldn't need to have any internet specific cable hooked up. The airport network that the assistant will set up for you will guide through the steps. Just plug in the airtunes into an outlet, plug in speaker wire into jack and go through set up.