Networking External Drives

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey Guys,

New to Mac, proud of it and so glad I did it!

I have an incredible need for hard drive storage space. How easy is it to set up a rack of externals and access them from multiple Macs? Basically, I just want to allow my employee to load images onto the drives and organize them so that I can access them at will. Plug and play?

Also, if you have any other recommendations on network storage, please advise. I've looked at the Xserve G5 (a bit pricey!) the LaCie Bigger Disk, LaCie Ethernet Disk, and the G-Tech G-RAID. What do you think?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

-b

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    What kind of macs exactly? I'm asking because a network disk solution would be difficult to implement without most of the computers having gigabit ethernet.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Glitch

What kind of macs exactly? I'm asking because a network disk solution would be difficult to implement without most of the computers having gigabit ethernet.

Dude, that's hilarious! I use the screen name glitch at another forum! How strange my face must have looked when I looked at your post!

Anyway... I've got a G5 with 10.3.6. I also have an old G4 that was upgraded from a G3 that most likely does not have Gb ethernet. I may have to scrap the idea of using the G4 anyway -no DVD drive and all my incoming work is on DVD's. Purchasing an extertanl DVD drive is an option, but not sure how long I want to try and keep that oldie alive...

Thanks for your post!

-B
  • Reply 3 of 3
    What a coincidence blix- I have just networked our AV editing room (4 iMacs w/10.3.6 hooked up to an older G3 as a server). I made a large hard drive by connecting our 4 La Cie 80G firewire drives to the G3 in a RAID array. My question goes one step further than blix's. Namely, is it possible to have the new drive mapped automatically? (I have the iMacs set to auto login) I can figure out how to access the server from each of the iMacs, but have not figured out if the auto login is possible. Anyone know of any procedures, scripts, etc. that can accomplish this?

Thanks!