buying new hardware from apple

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all!



i´ve got some little questions:



is it smart to buy the newest apple hardware, when it comes out?



if i waited for the next or the second "generation" of a newly announced product, how long does it take?



How can i be sure, that - if i waited- i dont buy stuff from the first announcement-generation then without knowing it?



If i bouhgt something absolutely new (im thinking about the MWSF -Powerbook G5 - if it comes) and its crappy or buggy - how does apple deal with issues like that? do they replace the machine? or do they reapair it? and if they do so, are they fast or do i have to wait for ages?



Somehow im not quite sure anymore, if i should hope for a PB 15" G5 or a faster G4 PB, thats well tested....



greetz from Vienna,



Flippo

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Unfortunately, almost none of those questions can be answered in a generalized form in order to predict the future.



    If you want to make sure you get the newest revision, you'll need to cite a specific model so that people can list of distinguishing characteristics.



    As far as a new powerbook. It's all guesswork at this point.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Flippo

    Hi all!



    i´ve got some little questions:



    is it smart to buy the newest apple hardware, when it comes out?



    if i waited for the next or the second "generation" of a newly announced product, how long does it take?



    How can i be sure, that - if i waited- i dont buy stuff from the first announcement-generation then without knowing it?



    If i bouhgt something absolutely new (im thinking about the MWSF -Powerbook G5 - if it comes) and its crappy or buggy - how does apple deal with issues like that? do they replace the machine? or do they reapair it? and if they do so, are they fast or do i have to wait for ages?



    Somehow im not quite sure anymore, if i should hope for a PB 15" G5 or a faster G4 PB, thats well tested....



    greetz from Vienna,



    Flippo




    If you cannot afford a new Mac, then you really have no choice. However, you only waste your time by waiting for Apple hardware to be "perfected." I bought a dual 2 GHz G5 in 2003. If I had waited another year, I would have bought a dual 2.5 GHz G5 with liquid cooling. The point is that time brings new hardware to worry about, not "perfection" in older hardware. If what you want is not available yet, wait. When it is available, buy. The choice is to buy what's available at the time or to continue to oggle every new revision.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    The cool thing about buying new Apple hardware is that it's almost like leasing a car.

    If your interested in a particular model (like a PowerBook) and you get the latest one it will keep it's value better than any other computer, and when the next version comes out there are many willing to pay barely under what you paid for it on ebay. So once you get it onto a new machine you can always update to the latest model with comparatively little further investment. I used to do it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    well in this case i´ll buy.... the only thing is that ill definiteley await mwsf 05 before ill order the machine...



    would be a pity if i lost oure oney, if i bought before a new release and sunken price-levels.



    greetz, Flippo
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Definitely smart idea to wait until after MWSF, just in case.



    This is also a useful guide, although don't take it religiously (as it says).



    Bottom line: unless a product hasn't updated in an outrageously long time and there's buzz about something coming right around the corner, buy it when you need it.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I picked up a 15" PB in April when they bumped the speed up. I needed more than the 667 PB provided and couldn't wait. Part of my thinking, however, was that I could sell the G4 PB on ebay after the G5 was announced and the initial dust settled.



    Now that I have a 20" G5 iMac, however, I may just keep the G4 PB longer. It's working very well for me - more than happy with it - so I might just wait to see what else Apple comes out with on rev b.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. Me

    ...However, you only waste your time by waiting for Apple hardware to be "perfected." I bought a dual 2 GHz G5 in 2003. If I had waited another year, I would have bought a dual 2.5 GHz G5 with liquid cooling. The point is that time brings new hardware to worry about, not "perfection" in older hardware...



    I tend to disagree with that statement. There have been times when new Mac models had problems. Some of the first 17" PowerBooks made a strange hissing noise that was worked out by rev b. Some of the first Cubes had cracking cases; something that was worked out after some time had passed. Certainly, not every new Mac model has problems but if you really want to avoid the possibility of getting one that has problems, it's prudent to wait a month or two after they begin shipping in order to hear of any problems. In general, I'd say you're much safer buying a revision b or c of any product, not just computers.
Sign In or Register to comment.