Good places to be used Apple computers iBooks/Powerbooks etc.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Besides ebay. I am not into that. I am looking for actual business that sell refurbished or used equipment for resonable deals.

I wouldn't mind haveing a old iBook to screw around with, as long as OS X will run on it.

Any advice you can give will be appreciated.

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    You could check out www.powermax.com . Also, maybe www.smalldog.com might have used/refurb. Do a google search, you'll find other businesses buying/selling used Apple equipment. There's also www.powerbookcentral.com (click classifieds link) where people list their laptops for sale. I sold my TiBook through this site so at least in that transaction it worked for me.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Thank you. Powermaxx looks like a winner to me. I will definitely google and see what I get but I am glad that I was able to get a recomendation here.

What is the difference between an iBook and PowerBook?

Also, what should I look out for as far as minimum hardware for OS X? I just want to goof around, send email, write some in a word processor and possibly dominate the world.

I should add that giving presenations will be a HAVE TO with Keynote. I would need to be able to connect to a projector.

Eric

I am cleaning up a P3 650 Win98 notebook to give to a friend who needs a computer. I need to replace it with an Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    You should spend some time at Apple's iBook and PowerBook pages. www.apple.com/ibook and www.apple.com/powerbook .

Once you've looked over the specs and have more specific questions I'll be glad to help.

As far as minimum specs for OS X go, at this point you should really try to get a G4 powered laptop. The G4 has a vector processing unit the G3's lack. This VPU is used heavily in both the OS and in Apple (and some other manufacturer's) applications and gives a tremendous boost to operations using this VPU. Think multimedia in apps like iMovie, and GarageBand.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I have read those pages. It seems that the PowerBook is for those who want a desktop solution in a very portable format. The iBook looks lower end, (slower bus speeds, slower processors, less ram, smaller hdd's, etc.), and suits the non-demading user who has a desktop format. Am I right or am I missing something?

I just want to be able to read cd's, hook up to a projector for Keynote presentations, and do email on the road.

I am going to assume an iBook is all I need.

The Apple website says I just need 120 meg of ram for any iBook to run OS X. is that a resonable ram figure? Or is more ram needed than advertsied by Apple to make the computing experience bearable?

Thanks!!

Eric
  • Reply 5 of 5
    You want 512MB for OS X to run well. 256MB is just enough for OS X itself. Whatever you do, don't buy extra RAM from Apple. Get it online at www.crucial.com or www.newegg.com . These places are much less expensive then Apple for RAM.

For your needs, the iBook sounds fine. If the iBook doesn't come with one, you'll need a miniVGA to VGA adapter (~$20USD) to connect to external monitors for your keynote presentations.