Santa is now "promoting intolerance"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Student santa told to go home

This is the clearest example of caring, level-headed parental reasoning coupled with stupid school administrative reasoning I've read in a long time.

Quote:

Lafond said while he disagrees with their reasoning he could almost understand it.

What he couldn?t understand was why his son was able to leave the dance.

"One of reasons why we are so angry is that the school has a policy that says once you go to the dance you can?t leave until it?s over," said Lafond. "You can?t leave school grounds unless they call a parent. If my wife wasn?t there, my son would have been out roaming the streets."

Obviously these parents have their priorities absolutely in the right place. Their concern was primarily with their child's safety and the actual suit and feelings associated with it were secondary. Major kudo's to the parents for being willing to stand up for their child's right to wear the suit, but hitting hardest on the most important issue, the administrator putting the possibly offended children ahead of school policy and safety of student wearing the Santa suit.

That said, what the hell is wrong with people? I've previously stated that people who fight to keep the state from sponsoring religion often are masking a deeper desire to be free from experiencing or encountering any religious influence. This especially seems to be true this season where I have read numerous stories of this nature. Santa has nothing to do with being Christian or believing in Jesus. If anything it is a purely commercial marketing/secular creation. Yet because the holiday contains the word Christ, some people believe it a religious influence. These folks, and their agenda should be realized for what they truly desire, a society scrubbed free of any religious influence or even participation. They want this enacted and enforced by a heavy handed government.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    How's wearing a Santa suit politically incorrect?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    yep thats pretty stupid,
  • Reply 3 of 39
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    There is this stupid notion lately that if you are pro something you are therefore anti everything else in the category. This is not logical.

There is another stupid notion lately that if you are pro something you are then required to be anti everything else in the category. This is also not logical.

It's this whole us-vs-them mentality, black and white, binary "logic" (if rash, unthinking, emotionalism can be called "logic").

Political correctness is the worst thing ever to have happened to free societies. It is just Newspeak and fascism under a cloak of do-gooder smugness.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    From a religious point of view, Santa is commonly viewed as a secular distraction from the real meaning of Christmas.

I have no idea how he got lumped into the anti-Christian brigade's dragnet.

The modern "Santa" is derived from the story of Nicholas, who was very Christian and did great acts of kindness to society on behalf of his Saviour.

But the modern depiction whitewashes all that out and makes him into a Toys 'R Us CEO based in the far north where there's apparently cheap labour.

Maybe the story now offends anti-globalization viewpoints or PETA doesn't like overworked reindeer.

Personally, I've always found it strange that people will freely hand over their kids to sit on an overweight stranger's lap while he whispers to them and says he's going to drop by their house in the middle of the night.

But maybe that's just me.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

The modern "Santa" is derived from the story of Nicholas, who was very Christian and did great acts of kindness to society on behalf of his Saviour.

Well, wikipedia paints a more complex and interesting picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Personally, I've always found it strange that people will freely hand over their kids to sit on an overweight stranger's lap while he whispers to them and says he's going to drop by their house in the middle of the night.

• Reply 7 of 39
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    dont it just make me laugh, how much of the Christmas 'pure Christian' celebration is wholesale ripped from every pagan tradition in the history of mankind. And yet some people think I'm the anti-christ when I try to tell them the whole Jesus story is of Pagan origin too!

And people go round actually believing they are being good God fearing Christians!
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

And yet some people think I'm the anti-christ when I try to tell them the whole Jesus story is of Pagan origin too!

Well..actually...by its very definition if you are denying the "christ-ness" (where "christ" is the Roman variation of "messiah" or "savior") of Jesus...then you are an anti-christ...not necessary the anti-Christ of course.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

I've previously stated that people who fight to keep the state from sponsoring religion often are masking a deeper desire to be free from experiencing or encountering any religious influence.

What in God's name does this mean?
  • Reply 10 of 39
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

What in God's name does this mean?

I had no trouble understanding it. It along the lines of freedom of religion vs freedom from religion.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Cancel Christmas holidays while you are at it.

Sucks to be an American. There is nothing to celebrate anymore in your country.

• Reply 12 of 39
    Christmas: The only federal holiday that is also a religious holiday. Where is the separation of church and state in that?
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

Christmas: The only federal holiday that is also a religious holiday. Where is the separation of church and state in that?

There is none. We are in fact a theocracy. Having a federal holiday for a religious holiday that most federal workers would take off anyway de facto establishes christianity as the official state religion of the United States.

Now you better get to church before Ashcroft's brown shirts find you.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

It along the lines of freedom of religion vs freedom from religion.

That is even more obtuse than what I quoted trumptman as saying.

What is "religious influence" and why should I not want to be free from it?

I quite welcome all this hostility towards this holiday that has been forced down our throats, this unholy mixture baby Jesus and capitalism. I have been hearing this "reason for the season" garbage for 20 years and it is high time for Christians and others to realize taht this culture is not yours, but ours and this government is not yours, but ours.

I am tired of this "I miss back when" bullshit and if my friends can get pushed out the schoolhouse doors for wearing a Marilyn Manson shirt without headlines and public consternation then it should be the same for Santa boy.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

That is even more obtuse than what I quoted trumptman as saying.

What is "religious influence" and why should I not want to be free from it?

I quite welcome all this hostility towards this holiday that has been forced down our throats, this unholy mixture baby Jesus and capitalism. I have been hearing this "reason for the season" garbage for 20 years and it is high time for Christians and others to realize taht this culture is not yours, but ours and this government is not yours, but ours.

I am tired of this "I miss back when" bullshit and if my friends can get pushed out the schoolhouse doors for wearing a Marilyn Manson shirt without headlines and public consternation then it should be the same for Santa boy.

It's a free country. Nobody's forcing anything down your throat. There are plenty of people in North American that don't celebrate Christmas as a religious festival.

However Christianity has a valid claim to it being the "reason for the season" by virtue of the season's name alone. And calling someone's religious views "garbage" is the reason opinions like yours deserve not to be taken seriously.

Lastly, you're comparing a regular school dress code violation with a kid who only tried to spread a little holiday cheer at a special event with his schoolmates.

Your arguments are weak all around. Try again next year.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

However Christianity has a valid claim to it being the "reason for the season" by virtue of the season's name alone. And calling someone's religious views "garbage" is the reason opinions like yours deserve not to be taken seriously.

Someone's religious view is garbage if they think Christmas is when Jesus was born because it says otherwise in their holy book.

Jesus is not the reason for the season, human will is. It is a completely and totally fabricated holiday. If we decide, as a culture, that Kwanzaa is "the reason for the season" then it will have just as valid a claim as your Christ.

Worship what you want. Do not ask me to take it seriously.

Quote:

Lastly, you're comparing a regular school dress code violation with a kid who only tried to spread a little holiday cheer at a special event with his schoolmates.

That is semantics. And weak semantics at that.

Obviously the santa suit was a "regular school dress code violation". No?
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

There is none. We are in fact a theocracy. Having a federal holiday for a religious holiday that most federal workers would take off anyway de facto establishes christianity as the official state religion of the United States.

Now you better get to church before Ashcroft's brown shirts find you.

A bit melodramatic eh?

• Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

A bit melodramatic eh?

Not for the Hysterical Left.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Not for the Hysterical Left.

Were you being sarcastic then?

(argghh...sometimes I hate low-bandwidth communication like message boards)
  • Reply 20 of 39
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

How's wearing a Santa suit politically incorrect?

You didnt get the memo,

He represents Cristmas, a few SOBs are so dickheaded in their view tyhat the mention of Christ is wrong in any forum, basicly a bunch of leftists that would like the first amendment not to apply to people of Christian faith, and somehow, these few have pervertet the whole system

I have no problem with people celebrateing Chaunaka(sp?) or Rhomodon(sp?) and neither do atheists, but apperantly christians are an acceptable target for religious descrimination.

In closeing, i would like to reitterate that Christians are the punching bag of the politicaly correct basket cases that run many schools.