System Log Errors in RS232 and /dev/console

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I get two errors in my system log that I do not understand:

Dec 24 09:33:12 localhost kernel: AppleRS232Serial: 0 0 AppleRS232Serial::start

- returning false early, Connector or machine incorrect

and

Dec 24 09:33:17 localhost syslogd: /dev/console: Input/output error

I have an unmodified Powermac MDD G4 and a brand-new clean install of 10.3.7. From Googling "dev/console", it looks as if the two items above are related.

Should I be concerned about these? Any idea why they are occurring? I only have USB and Firewire devices, no old serial devices at all.

I already have disconnected all peripherals from the USB and Firewire ports, hooked up the Apple mouse and ran the hardware tests on the Powermac CD. Both quick and extended tests showed no errors, so I'm pretty sure all my hardware is OK.

Ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Grain of salt... I am not an expert on this, but currently have a streak of happening to being right. Wait! I hope I didn't just jinx it!

I think that is a serial port found on the Xserve. Your computer doesn't have one so don't worry about it. But to make things simple, they added support for it.

Heck, maybe it works with USB->serial adapters??? Ahh well, that's pushing my luck. 8)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Heck, maybe it works with USB->serial adapters??? Ahh well, that's pushing my luck.

I was thinking along these lines, as I know they sell the cards and adapters for the old serial devices. And therefore /dev/console would have an I/O error?

Edited: I am asking the question because Logmaster, the program I am using to inspect the logs, flags only the /dev/console as a "fail error". It doesn't even flag the RS-232 line as anything. I am assuming it is relatively harmless because of this.