Listing of all files and folders by size

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I know they exist but i can't find any of those programs that will give you a listing of all the files on your computer and sort them by size. WHat would also be nice it is could give the size of folders and thier content. I am trying to figure out where all my disk space is going and there is some that is not accounted for. Thanks

Free would be preferable

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Nevermind. I found "What Size"

Thanks anyway
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

Nevermind. I found "What Size"

Thanks anyway

ER.... Sorry can you explain a bit more. I didn't get your issue, ... sorting by size, ... isn't this a basic feature of finder.app? Or do you really mean "ALL Files listed", largest on top and so on... ?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    First of all, i wanted hidden filed too but Finder will not list the size of a folder in any of the views.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    A long time ago, pre-OS X, I seem to remember there was a utility that would show you your harddrive as a pie chart sorted by each directory's total size starting with the directories on the root level. Clicking on a pie slice would drill down one directory level and show just that directory as a pie chart.

I don't know if there is something similar for OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Use the search function.

And in Finder views, there's an option for "calculate folder sizes".

Thanks. That worked well.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    rara Posts: 623member
    Sounds like you need OmniDiskSweeper, or in the Terminal type

Code:

ls -lR / | sort -nr +4

• Reply 7 of 10
    rara Posts: 623member
    Whoops (quoted myself)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I did some reading (mostly macosxhints.com) and peopel nated the similarity of WhatSize and OmiDiskSweeper. They are both built on the same original program and are very similar.

I do like whatsize mroe than finder becuase it is faster in that it will fidn the sizes first so when i am ready, it is really fast. Finder takes a while to calcuaee all the sizes AND, i can't do it in colum view.