dvd player & external drive

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm configuring a B&W G3 for my dad and I've managed to scrounge up an external DVD-Rom. Does anyone know a way to make DVD player play from an external firewire drive? Perhaps, an alternative player that will work?

It's not a huge deal, but I'd like for him to be able to do as much as possible as this is his first Mac. (The internal slot is taken by a CD-RW from a quicksilver that has to be there so that it can be opened with F-12.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

I'm configuring a B&W G3 for my dad and I've managed to scrounge up an external DVD-Rom. Does anyone know a way to make DVD player play from an external firewire drive? Perhaps, an alternative player that will work?

It's not a huge deal, but I'd like for him to be able to do as much as possible as this is his first Mac. (The internal slot is taken by a CD-RW from a quicksilver that has to be there so that it can be opened with F-12.)

If your video card doesn't support DVD drives, then you are out of luck. I know this because I use an iBook that has a video card that supports DVD playback and an external firewire DVD drive. The DVD player that comes with OS X automatically plays my DVD when I insert it into the external drive.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I just noticed that I wasn't specific in my post. The external DVD drive was "scrounged" from a firewire encloser I had and the stock internal DVD rom that had to give up its spot for the burner with no eject button. OS X's dvd player played beautifully off of that drive when it was installed internally.