PB Sleep / Battery

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Got my PB last friday which i'm pretty happy about.

Installation of certain things was kinda problematic although a lot of people say it works right out the box, i now know for myself that is a no go. Probably it was me doin' things wrong cause I never worked with osx. (new extensions)

Anyway I got it workin now so let's hope it keeps on working.

Well now my question:

Does the battery life get extended if i put the PB into sleep mode? It seems it is just draining the battery like when it's powered on.

Also I use my windows' pc mouse (logitech) on the PB and it's moving kinda slow, could it help if I install osx drivers for it or are those already in osx cause the mouse worked when i plugged it in. I already set the speed to max but it's still kinda slow.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Putting the system to sleep does conserve battery power. As far as the usb mouse I have no clue.

A@ron
  • Reply 2 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    there probably is a problem that is preventing the computer from going to sleep...

you said you had problems with OS X... what were they... maybe you should do a clean install and start from scratch...

this needs to be moved to GB also (dont worry about it, it will be taken care of)
  • Reply 3 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Get the Logitech Control Center from their website so that you can increase the speed to acceptable levels.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Thanks torifile, i'll check it this evening.

Paul, my main problem with osx has to do with an rme

multiface audio interface. It's connected by the cardbus slot. The driver for it is an alpha driver (pre-release) so that's probably the culprit here. 2 days ago i got it to work but now it's back offline.

I'm a dj and want to monitor off the multiface. The multiface is known for it's low latency (i guess os9 only till now), so that would make it usable to monitor&record my mix. I use logic platinum and it has worked with low latency so i couild use it, then next day i have to set different latency, don't ask me why, but in a way that i can't mix with this latency.

I guess i just have to wait for the final driver.

Also i got a masterkeyboard which installed fine, but when i want to use remote control in reason, individual control knobs of the keyboard don't get locked to the software controls.

Then i have a lot of audio cd's with my records recorded by a pc which aren't readable in the mac,

well they read the first 6 songs or so, but then skips and ticks appear, when i rip them with itunes, good ones get ripped, others give an error. Maybe it's due to the cd's itself but they read in my pc so i can't really understand why the mac doesn't read them.

And nonono, i definately do not want to do a clean install, i already did that and since it's a mac and everybody told me it's stable, i dunno but i don't want to feel the mac as a windows computer,

why do you think i bought the mac?

btw the mac does go to sleep (when the white led flashes, it's asleep right? (when it goes to sleep and my multiface is connected, i get a kernel panic)

Hints appreciated

thanks

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: drazztikka ]

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: drazztikka ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by drazztikka:

<strong>Paul, my main problem with osx has to do with an rme

multiface audio interface. It's connected by the cardbus slot. The driver for it is an alpha driver (pre-release) so that's probably the culprit here. 2 days ago i got it to work but now it's back offline.</strong><hr></blockquote>yes this probably is the problem.<strong> [quote]I'm a dj and want to monitor off the multiface. The multiface is known for it's low latency (i guess os9 only till now), so that would make it usable to monitor&record my mix. I use logic platinum and it has worked with low latency so i couild use it, then next day i have to set different latency, don't ask me why, but in a way that i can't mix with this latency.

I guess i just have to wait for the final driver.</strong><hr></blockquote>sounds good<strong> [quote]Also i got a masterkeyboard which installed fine, but when i want to use remote control in reason, individual control knobs of the keyboard don't get locked to the software controls.</strong><hr></blockquote>probably a bug with their software... send them feedback about it. Maybe they can help you. This could also be the culprit.<strong> [quote]Then i have a lot of audio cd's with my records recorded by a pc which aren't readable in the mac,

well they read the first 6 songs or so, but then skips and ticks appear, when i rip them with itunes, good ones get ripped, others give an error. Maybe it's due to the cd's itself but they read in my pc so i can't really understand why the mac doesn't read them.</strong><hr></blockquote>How are you trying to encode them? MP3? AIFF? are they regular Audio CDs or are there copy protection schemes built into them? (I dont know, I'm not a DJ, but I think i have seen CDs like that before)<strong> [quote]And nonono, i definately do not want to do a clean install, i already did that and since it's a mac and everybody told me it's stable, i dunno but i don't want to feel the mac as a windows computer,

why do you think i bought the mac?</strong><hr></blockquote>You are right, you shouldnt have to do a clean install... but something is preventing your computer from sleeping properly... it is probably some of the hardware you have on the machine. When you put it to sleep, what hardware is connected to the PB?<strong> [quote]btw the mac does go to sleep (when the white led flashes, it's asleep right? (when it goes to sleep and my multiface is connected, i get a kernel panic)</strong><hr></blockquote>OK yes the LED flashing means it is sleeping... but if you are having significant power drains then something is wrong. what version of OS X are you using? I can sleep my PB for hours at a time with a full battery and have like 97% left when i open it again. I am using 10.2.2 with a 667 DVI powerbook. The reason I suggested reinstalling OS X is because you said you were having troubles with it when you first got it due to "new extensions". Well to my knowledge there are no such thing as extensions in OS X that is an OS 9 idea... which is why i thought something got screwed up on your system...but a more likely assumption would be to think that some of the specialized software you have installed on your machine is causing problems. What apps do you have running when you try to sleep your PB? try restarting with nothing plugged into the TiBook, and immediately sleeping the machine for 20 min or so. If the machine still does not conserve battery power correctly then the system could be at fault...but even then that is not certain.<strong> [quote]Hints appreciated

thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are welcome. I hope I can help . But I'm afraid most of what I am going on is based on my own experiences and logical deductions...and since i don't have any experience with the hardware you are using, I probably won't be of much help...But i can try .
  • Reply 6 of 16
    [quote] How are you trying to encode them? MP3? AIFF? are they regular Audio CDs or are there copy protection schemes built into them? (I dont know, I'm not a DJ, but I think i have seen CDs like that before)

quote:<hr></blockquote>

I recorded them as audio so they play in normal cd players. (.cda files on a windows) There are definately no protection shemes on it cause i manually recorded my records in the pc and then burned it without protection, i'm very sure about that. Even if they are protected, they wouldn't play at all in the mac, right? They play the most of the cd but only at the end,i get ticks and hick-ups. I also mp3-ed my records and those i can import in my mac without problems but it's better to have the uncompressed audio to begin with. (I'm doin' a lot of audio stuff)

[quote] You are right, you shouldnt have to do a clean install... but something is preventing your computer from sleeping properly... it is probably some of the hardware you have on the machine. When you put it to sleep, what hardware is connected to the PB?

quote: <hr></blockquote>

I have a logitech usb mouse connected, usb masterkeyboard mk361c (www.evolution.co.uk), usb emagic logic audio platinum registration key, targus laptop usb hub(www.targus.com), rme-multiface (www.rme-audio.com) in the pcmcia(?u know what i mean)-slot.

When i put it to sleep the usb stuff doesn't get disconnected, i power off the multiface-card(otherwise i get the kernel i now know) which is good that u can power it off, but when i want to use it again, i have to restart to initialise, which s*cks. Probably the multiface driver again. Or can't u put the pb to sleep with an pcmcia(? :confused: )card? (from an apple point of view)

[quote] OK yes the LED flashing means it is sleeping... but if you are having significant power drains then something is wrong. what version of OS X are you using? I can sleep my PB for hours at a time with a full battery and have like 97% left when i open it again. I am using 10.2.2 with a 667 DVI powerbook. The reason I suggested reinstalling OS X is because you said you were having troubles with it when you first got it due to "new extensions". Well to my knowledge there are no such thing as extensions in OS X that is an OS 9 idea... which is why i thought something got screwed up on your system...but a more likely assumption would be to think that some of the specialized software you have installed on your machine is causing problems. What apps do you have running when you try to sleep your PB? try restarting with nothing plugged into the TiBook, and immediately sleeping the machine for 20 min or so. If the machine still does not conserve battery power correctly then the system could be at fault...but even then that is not certain. <hr></blockquote>

Ok i have seen what happens.

Example:

-let's say battery power 50%.

-go to sleep

-wait SHORT time,then wake

-Meter says 'calculating' (i have it set so it shows the remaining battery time if that matters.)

-The right (which i estimated) power %-age is shown.

-go to sleep

-wait longer time (3to5 hours),then wake

-a message that says 'restart your mac/ battery power down blabla

-Then it(%-age) gradually builds up untill the normal (estimated u know) %-age get shown.

So its just an monitoring bug.

Guess i kinda sorted it out, but u know when people say it works outta the box, it should and if it doesn't, it get's on my nervers.

Just wondering now if someone else has similar symptons?

Special thanks to Paul.

Laterz
  • Reply 7 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by drazztikka:

<strong>

Ok i have seen what happens.

Example:

-let's say battery power 50%.

-go to sleep

-wait SHORT time,then wake

-Meter says 'calculating' (i have it set so it shows the remaining battery time if that matters.)

-The right (which i estimated) power %-age is shown.

-go to sleep

-wait longer time (3to5 hours),then wake

-a message that says 'restart your mac/ battery power down blabla

-Then it(%-age) gradually builds up untill the normal (estimated u know) %-age get shown.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah I used to get the same problem on my iBook. I updated to the latest jaguar and it went away. What version of OS X do you have again? Go under the Apple menu&gt;about this mac to find out.

I've never heard of .cda files. Most cds are .aiff files, that could be your problem.

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: Spiffster ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Spiffster:

<strong>

I've never heard of .cda files. Most cds are .aiff files, that could be your problem.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

.cda files are just pseudo-files that the windows explorer shows when you insert an Audio CD.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 9 of 16
    [quote] Yeah I used to get the same problem on my iBook. I updated to the latest jaguar and it went away. What version of OS X do you have again? Go under the Apple menu&gt;about this mac to find out.

<hr></blockquote>

I use Jag 10.2.1

Is this the latest version?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    [quote] I am using 10.2.2 with a 667 DVI powerbook. <hr></blockquote>

no check the software update panel in system preferences

you should have a few updates to install...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    So how did you charged it?

Do you allow it to run out first and then plug it in or do you just plug it in where you can?

Anyone knows if the pb-battery is an ion-lithium one? Those are pretty good as opposed to an nickel-cadmium one.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I bought the 667 DVI model back in September and have kept it plugged in for nearly 75% of the time. When it's not plugged in I nearly always use it until the power runs down to less than 10%.

I have never shut the computer down since buying it (restarted a bunch of times though), but when i go to bed at night I always have it plugged in and in sleep mode.

How soon until I **** up my battery?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    having it plugged in all the time is a bad thing?? :confused:
  • Reply 14 of 16
    As far as the battery, Apple suggests that when the PowerBook is brand new (within the first week), you should run the battery all the way down, then fully charge it. They call it "Calibrating your Battery for Best Performance."

As for the CDs, I've found that the very thin drive mechanism, which has a very thin lens, can have some trouble mounting audio CDs that are just a bit scratched (usually in the TOC), and when I put the bad CD in a full-sized CD drive (FP iMac, for example), it works just fine.