post recommendation system? abillity to edit thread titles?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
i have two suggestions. don't know if either is feasible with your current forum system:

1) adding a post recommendation system. with so much variation in the post quality, it'd be great to have a system like the one in the yahoo investor forums, allowing folks to "recommend" certain posts by adding to a running count of how favored it is, one vote per member.

ideally, i'd like to see a +1 or -1 option, so you can downgrade a post. this, plus, a filter that allowed culling of posts below a certain negative number, eg: -8, could have several benes:

a) help filter truly useless posts from view.

b) encourage people to write better posts in general

c) allow a new quick-browse option for just the top-rec'd postings across all forums/threads.

2) would be great to be able to edit thread titles (not just the body text). in the "insanity" thread i just created (title: "what will REALLY happen over the next few years"), i realize i should have appended a "(humor)" disclaimer to the thread title. but i can't edit such without formally requesting it. eg: here. =)

that said, much mahalos (island thank yous) for providing this great forum for mac zeal over the years. only starteed posting recently, but have been reading AI since the late 90s. (before the temporary down-time.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    1) This has been discussed many times among us, and the general consensus is to not allow this feature. The principle of this "ranking" by member is good, unfortunately in practice it's a mess. By mess, I mean that the ranking is more based on a love/hate relationship, than a fair judgement of the quality of the posts.

2) We do not allow this features, but the mods here, will be happy to do it at your request.