Mac Mall pricing problem

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just received my PB 1GHz w/ Superdrive from Mac Mall. When I ordered, I was just going to do it online, but decided to call a customer service rep first, to see if they had any in stock. The price I had seen online was $2905.50, and I mentioned that to the CSR. She said that was the price, and her system just hadn't been updated to reflect it. I trusted her, but when the PB arrived yesterday, I was charged 3,033.99.

Am I crazy? What do I do?

Jason

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    This is just a wild stab in the dark, and I'm sure it's a crazy idea... but maybe CALL them?

• Reply 2 of 7
    Oh - sorry. I wasn't clear in my post. Of course I called them. I'm just waiting for a response. I laid out my case, and said that I'd like to be credited the difference in prices $128.49.

I was just looking for advice on what to do if they say, "sorry!" I mean, am I out of luck because I trusted the sales person?

Could I have been wrong about the price?

Jason
  • Reply 3 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    There's a much greater chance that they are wrong, either the rep or their system than your making up that price. I'd bitch and moan until I got the money back and if that didn't work, I'd call my credit card company and tell them about it. CC companies are actually very helpful when it comes to stuff like this. Did you happen to get the rep's name? That would help a lot. Also try to think of as many relevant details as you can - time you called, various parts of the conversation, etc.

Also, you've got to be firm about it. Talk to someone who can do something about it rather than dealing with people who say that I'm not able to do it. Keep going up the line until you get someone who says "I won't do it." And then play the "put yourself in my position" card. Then be nice. It works for me all the time.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Just a thought, but did your Ti come with "free" RAM? The fine print on some of these deals will say things like "after $99 rebate; does not include $29.99 installation fee" or some variation of that. So you pay the $129 up front, and have to submit forms to get $99 back.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by BrunoBruin:

<strong>Just a thought, but did your Ti come with "free" RAM? The fine print on some of these deals will say things like "after $99 rebate; does not include $29.99 installation fee" or some variation of that. So you pay the $129 up front, and have to submit forms to get $99 back.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It did come with free RAM, but the website never indicated that the price shown was an "after rebate" price.

Anyway, I spoke with my account rep yesterday and she acknowledged that the website had been showing an incorrect price on the day I ordered. They owed me $128.49, so she gave me a $100 credit to my Mastercard, and then $28.49 in store credit at Mac Mall. Not a bad deal overall.

So I basically paid $2933.99 for a SuperDrive Powerbook w/ an extra 512 MB of RAM. Even the Education Discount can't beat that price.

Plus, I've got some money waiting for me at Mac Mall, next time I need supplies.

Jason
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I say screw um, return the sucker and demand no restocking fee etc. Order from somewhere else at a better price. Might need a call to the BBB of their area.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Mac Mall, Mac Warehouse, they are all sneaky rats, you gotta watch em, at first i thought they were just stupid and made mistakes all the time but they are really just playing dumb and hoping you don't notice that your paying more than you thought. One time i had to deal with them 3 times cuz they kept trying to charge me full price for office x when i was buying it with a computer. Or the time I ordered a Ti book, the guy told me i get free ram and a laptop case. Got the computer and case but no free ram, i had to fight for days with the guy with him saying it was a misunderstanding you only get one free thing and i ordered the case, I'm like do you really think i would choose a $25 case over 256mb powerbook ram as my free item!

I can only imagine how many people get shafted by them cuz they dont know any better

[ 12-19-2002: Message edited by: Ti Fighter ]

[ 12-19-2002: Message edited by: Ti Fighter ]</p>