Word for OSX rpoblems

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A guy I work for is having trouble getting sentences to line up correctly to the left. I tried whatever I know and it still does it. Anyone have any problems with Word?

Also, when he hits return the cursor starts off in the middle of the page instead of at the far left.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

A guy I work for is having trouble getting sentences to line up correctly to the left. I tried whatever I know and it still does it. Anyone have any problems with Word?

Also, when he hits return the cursor starts off in the middle of the page instead of at the far left.

I take a back seat to no one in my criticism of Microsoft Word. However, not even Microsoft makes every mistake. Clearly, your friend doesn't know what he is doing. Setting the justification is Microsoft Word and every other word processor is really simple. You press [RETURN] only at the end of paragraphs. For enumerated lists and such like, you use tabs.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    He has <center justify> on. Highlight the offending text and hit the <left justify> button (in the formatting palate) and you are off to the races.

Make sure BOTH of you slap your forehead and say Duh!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Perhaps someone has inadvertently or intentionally modified the default settings. Try deleting the normal template (Applications/Microsoft Office X/Templates/Normal).
  • Reply 4 of 8
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    We clicked on left justify and it still happened.

I will check the settings next time I'm there.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Just clicking on left justify should left justify the paragraph the cursor is in, but not any other paragraphs--unless you select them. If that isn't working something basic is borked up and it may be worth re-installing Word. Even esoteric or corrupted styles shouldn't override a direct command like that.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

Just clicking on left justify should left justify the paragraph the cursor is in, but not any other paragraphs--unless you select them. If that isn't working something basic is borked up and it may be worth re-installing Word. Even esoteric or corrupted styles shouldn't override a direct command like that.

Obviously, you have never used styles.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Obviously you are incorrect on my style usage. I use them quite religiously despite their foibles. The fact you can inadvertantly loose those manual changes if you aren't careful when you make style updates elsewhere doesn't change the immediate effect the manual change is supposed to have. Used carefully styles can be a great help, used sloppily they can be the bane of existence.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I'll try a reinstall. I have a copy of Word myself and I noticed some odd behavior. It seems to be very quirky for some reason.