Airport Cards

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Will an airport card pick up a signal from a pc wireless router like a linksys?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    indeed it will, they operate on the same 802.11 standard
  • Reply 2 of 11
    yeap! and from my experience, i get better reception from my linksys wireless router then my old airport basestation.. so rock on! the 4 port access point is like $129 or so.. (maybe even cheaper now...)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Netgear makes a really nice all metal wireless four port router. Saw it on dealmac.com this week for $60.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I've heard that the linksys wireless router was difficult to install... JMoney, did you experience this?

jess.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    The linksys router isn't difficult at all, I have it running right now... just plug in into your cable/dsl modem, use your web browser to go to the router configuration and turn on wireless, generate a WEP key and enter it in your laptop.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i use a DLINK 614+ wireless router which i picked up for just under $100 or maybe just over $100 a few months back. works great with the airport card, though it looks like a space age device from the 80s (good thing i keep it hidden in a closet!)

[ 12-12-2002: Message edited by: progmac ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    What if I want to access a network at a hotel or something? How does one configure it?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>What if I want to access a network at a hotel or something? How does one configure it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

plug a cat5 (ethernet) cable into your ibook/powerbook. configuration done. well, you might need to select built-in ethernet from the network control panel.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    I just bought a Linksys wireless router with 4 access ports for $119 new. Easy to set up once I called my ISP. No need to use the browser or anything else to set up. Took about 5 minutes with tech support to set up!

Time to put the airport base station on ebay.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    Yea, honestly.. Linksys was up and running in like 5 minutes!! Best router on the market (unless you move up to the Cisco stuff) :cool:
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I had peoblems with the intel wireless GATEWAY.

As an access point, its great. With the unit locaded in a first floor room, I was able to pick up a signal outside upto 25 - 30 meters away. Great for working in the garden in the summer.

However, as a gateway, the unit did not perform very well. I am a keen online gamer and I began to see 1 - 2 second lag pauses in games, and started having connection problems. By removing the router thinks went back to normal. Also the unit would perform great for a few days after a reboot.

So I guess the router software in the unit has some problems, and gets itself in a twist after a certain amount of usage. Perhaps theres a memory leak somewhere????