Airport Express and wireless router simultaneously?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I read somewhere that is is not possible to have two Airport connections simultaneously. I am thinking about getting an Airport Express base station for my hi-fi, and also a Belkin (or other) wireless broadband router - will these both work together at the same time?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    I have this setup at home. I have the my iMac connected to the wireless router through the ethernet port. I have the airport express connected to my stereo. My powerbook can connect to both the express and the belkin at the same time, no problem
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I think he means can he be on two wireless networks (one for internet, one for streaming music) at the same time. The answer to that is: no. I plug my computer into my router for internet access (192.xxx.xxx.x IP address) and connect to my AirPort Express to print wirelessly and stream my music (10.x.x.x IP address). If I was to pull the plug on the ethernet connection, the internet would then come in via the AirPort.

If your other wireless router is an AirPort or AirPort Extreme base station, you can use WDS and make the AirPort Express part of the same wireless network. If its a third party router you are probably SOL. If you can work it logistically, just use the AirPort Express as your wireless router and leave it at that.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Thanks for the replies. So am I right in saying that the only way to use the internet whilst listening to music would be to plug my router or modem into either my Mac, or the Airport Express base station? In that case, can anyone recommend a boradband modem which has an ethernet connection so that I can plug it into Airport Express?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Thanks for the replies. So am I right in saying that the only way to use the internet whilst listening to music would be to plug my router or modem into either my Mac, or the Airport Express base station? In that case, can anyone recommend a boradband modem which has an ethernet connection so that I can plug it into Airport Express?

Would I just need to plug something like this into the ethernet connection on Aiport Express? Thanks
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    I stand by my 1st post. I am connected via airport express to my stereo and playing iTunes nicely right now, while still cruising the internet through my Belkin wireless router.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by cylon

I stand by my 1st post. I am connected via airport express to my stereo and playing iTunes nicely right now, while still cruising the internet through my Belkin wireless router.

Sounds ideal, thanks for making tings a bit simpler!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    IIRC, there's an option to set it up onto an existing wireless network (ie your Belkin etc router - mines a Netgear). Just make sure you have your network setup first, and then run the setup making sure you click add to wireless network. Bish, bash, bosh.

edit: Just an additional point, although it can be added to a Belkin/Netgear router, it cannot extend the wireless connection unless it's an Apple Airport. At least, that's what they say, I haven't tested this out, but I may do so one day...