Pro Speakers and TiBooks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey, Does anybody know whether you can use Apple's Pro Speakers (the spherical ones) with the newer TiBooks (i.e. 800, 867, 1 GHz)???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    <a href="http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/32/wo/c04UNTFOjNsP2WQ12zp2jCkUsTL/1.3.0.3.27.8.3.12.13.0"; target="_blank">Apple Pro Speakers</a>

"The analog-based speakers require systems with an Apple speaker minijack. They are not USB-based speakers. Currently, Apple Pro Speakers should only be used with the new G4-based iMac or the Power Mac with minijack.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong><a href="http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/32/wo/c04UNTFOjNsP2WQ12zp2jCkUsTL/1.3.0.3.27.8.3.12.13.0"; target="_blank">Apple Pro Speakers</a>

"The analog-based speakers require systems with an Apple speaker minijack. They are not USB-based speakers. Currently, Apple Pro Speakers should only be used with the new G4-based iMac or the Power Mac with minijack.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So does the TiBook have this "minijack"? What is that anyway? Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    According to Apple's website, the TiBook does indeed have an audio-in "minijack" (in the back).

(sorry... clicked wrong button, didn't need to edit this) - murbot

[ 12-15-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 10
    iMac ports:

PowerBook ports:

"What you can?t see from this angle: Two built-in antennas for wireless networking, PC Card expansion slot, 1 headphone out, two built-in stereo speakers, internal omnidirectional microphone, and slot-loading Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive or SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)."

PowerBooks have a headphone jack and audio-in, but you can't plug Pro Speakers into them. Look at the iMac's setup - there are jacks for headphones AND the Pro Speakers.

[ 12-15-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 10
    [quote]According to Apple's website, the TiBook does indeed have an audio-in "minijack" (in the back).<hr></blockquote>

Yes, audio IN.
  • Reply 7 of 10

<strong>iMac ports:

PowerBook ports:

"What you can?t see from this angle: Two built-in antennas for wireless networking, PC Card expansion slot, 1 headphone out, two built-in stereo speakers, internal omnidirectional microphone, and slot-loading Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive or SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)."

PowerBooks have a headphone jack and audio-in, but you can't plug Pro Speakers into them. Look at the iMac's setup - there are jacks for headphones AND the Pro Speakers.

TRUE, but the TiBook also has a jack for headphones (on the side) AND an audio-in minijack in the back. How is the TiBook minijack fundamentally different than the one on the iMac or Powermac used for the Pro speakers?

I think you are probably right -- that the TiBook cannot be used with the Pro Speakers -- I'm just curious why that is.

[ 12-15-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 8 of 10

<strong>

Yes, audio IN.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes, of course, audio IN...i see
  • Reply 9 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    there is no audio IN port on the iMac...but there is on the TiBook

there is a headphone jack on both the iMac and the TiBook...

there is no Pro Speaker Minijac on the TiBook...but there is on the iMac

the pro speakers need a POWERED, proprietary minijac to run them...the TiBook does not have the room for these jacks...

as for why the iMac doesn't have audio IN... you will have to take that up with apple...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Apple's mini-jack is nothing proprietary. It' s just an old lesser used size of audio connection.

you can find a mini-jack to 1/8 inch jack adapter at any Radio Shack.

MSKR