I LOVE my mac.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yet another thread about how kick butt my mac is.

I have a 17" iMac G5 1.8. I recently upgraded my ram to 1 gig from 512. This is by far the best personal computer I've used- besides the dual G5's with a 30".

I was just at my brothers house over the holiday and was using his dell. His family doesn't know much about computers, but damn does that thing suck.

Its a 1.8GHz P4 with 256MB of ram. He was using IE as his main browser. Popups everywhere and the computer was slow. I can attribute this to the measly amount of RAM he has in the computer, but then get this...

My mom has an old 350MHz CRT iMac with 160MB of ram that I just updated to panther. My mom's used old "slow" iMac is actually a much better/faster experience that using my brothers dell!

I love how everything just "works". I'm home over break and I don't have the password for her dial-up access so I just plug an ethernet cable into the old iMac and share the access with the new iMac- that easy. Just click on button to turn it on and thats it!

I do a lot of game design, web design, music editing, and some video work and this thing just does the work that I ask it to- no slow down, no crashes, just work.

Anyway- I think the ultimate is going to be the 15" powerbook G5 (power and portability), but for now the iMac is great and its nice to have a "media hub" thats always on to record shows with my eyeTV, stream my music to my stereo, do my digital design stuff, surf, chat, video conference, audio conference, email, photoshop, director, dreamweaver, flash, office, halo, etc.

//end mac loving rant//

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Great to hear your mac is working nice and smooth and you're happy with it tacojohn!

I've been a Mac user now, and each and every new Apple I get sorta blows me away for some reason or another.

Just 2.5 days ago I was delighted to go in to my Applestore and collect my newest apple - A dual G5 with a 30" display. Well I am back to square one as if I had never had a mac before. I am blown away by this thing, both performance wise and also aesthetically.

For me this is my ultimate dream computer and it kicks the ass of a brand new HP computer I have (Sitting in its box because I cant be bothered with it) and also an older Pentium 3 with a ton of ram.

As for the 15" Powerbook. It does make for a perfect portable. I still have my old trusty TiBook with an 800Mhz processor and whilst it is slower then my Dual G5 it still is a wonderful computer - I suspect I will update it once the new G5's or whatever come out in the future.

Alas, I love my Dual + 30" because it does everything for me - Its my music player, my TV (Well sorta anyhow) a good DVD player and a great computer for productivity be it working on video or photoshop or editing a wedpage or even typing a paper.

• Reply 2 of 15
    sweet jesus that looks good! how much does something like that cost though?!?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Im guessing $6k
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Im guessing $6k

none of that spent on the cheap tacky telephone though. what's that thing from, the 80's?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Where to get those desktop images?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Where to get those desktop images?

www.mandolux.com
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimbobsmells

none of that spent on the cheap tacky telephone though. what's that thing from, the 80's?

You gotta love the phone eh? Its actually a stock 2000 model from Telstra, when they installed my ADSL. It's hideous looking, particularly in contrast to my Bang and Olufsen phone - which would better suit my Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

www.mandolux.com

He/She has some amazing stuff on their web page. Great photos! You'll need to resize in photoshop or alike to suit the 2560x1600 res of a 30" display.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

My mom has an old 350MHz CRT iMac with 160MB of ram that I just updated to panther.

That's just a cruel thing to do. OS X is an absolute turtle on G3 iMacs... and with 160MB of RAM, oh the agony! Seriously, I have one and as much as I love OS X, it's just too painful to use on old iMacs.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trevorM

He/She has some amazing stuff on their web page. Great photos! You'll need to resize in photoshop or alike to suit the 2560x1600 res of a 30" display.

Yep. And what makes it better is that he's an AI member.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

Yep. And what makes it better is that he's an AI member.

Thats right. I remember that now.

I haven't visited Appleinsider in too long, so I am a little rusty with who's who on these boards.

Whatever happened to the AI Community Pic site - Does it still exist?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yikes600

That's just a cruel thing to do. OS X is an absolute turtle on G3 iMacs... and with 160MB of RAM, oh the agony! Seriously, I have one and as much as I love OS X, it's just too painful to use on old iMacs.

Not as cruel as using my brothers dell...
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    trevorM-

You have a beautiful setup there. Congratulations.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Here's my current setup

• Reply 15 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I recently bumped my RAM up to 1.5GB, and I was like, "Slow down! Slow down!"