Can US Powerbook work in UK? Need quick answer!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am about to bid on a Powerbook and it seems the seller is from the US but willing to ship worldwide, I am wondering, would a US powerbook work if I bought a US2UK adaptor?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    It'll work fine. Apple's notebook power supplies are universal. (Well, global, as we don't know what voltage they use on Mars.)

You just need something to convert a US two pin doohicky into a big ugly UK three pin.

Alternatively, call Apple in the UK and ask for a replacement power cable for the PowerBook. You don't need a whole new power adapter, just the cable.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Pick up a World Travel Kit to give you the proper prongs on your white power adapter. The adapter itself will switch between 110 and 220, so it'll work practically anywhere.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>

Alternatively, call Apple in the UK and ask for a replacement power cable for the PowerBook. You don't need a whole new power adapter, just the cable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is true. You probably don't even need to call Apple. Just look in a local electrical/electronics/computer store. When I was on a little island off the coast of Italy, I bought cords that went from my Apple power supply or peripherals to the local two pin or three pin outlets. That's probably less expensive and more convenient than a travel adapter.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>No. I'm not sure about the new square adapters, but if it's a PowerBook with a yo-yo adapter, the adapter uses a proprietary cord and standard cords won't fit. You'd have to get the Apple one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good point. My input was valid years ago but perhaps not now.

I'll just go away now ...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Are you sure the UK keyboard layout is identical to the US one?

There are absolutely no other issues.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by costique:

<strong>Are you sure the UK keyboard layout is identical to the US one?

There are absolutely no other issues.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It won't be identical, but I don't think it's a big issue. I guess currency symbols are the only major difference.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Hey guys, I won the Powerbook!

It was a 1GHz Superdrive model, can't wait.

And I had just bought a Powermac dual 867 but have been lugging it around quite a bit, so I needed a laptop.

Overall I saved a bundle, about £900. I got it for £1500. The new ones (the one I won is new) are £2499.

Anywho thanks for the help!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    somehow I smell fraud. what comes with the PB ? what accessories ?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    You'll probably need to get your OS changed/replaced with the British rather then American version.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I smelled fruad to begin with. But this guy has tons of feedback, all good, has sold about 20 Powerbooks, the reason for that is he does an eBay shop thing. He had 2 other Powerbooks on at the same time.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>You'll probably need to get your OS changed/replaced with the British rather then American version.</strong><hr></blockquote>

There are not different versions of Mac OS X.