Suggestions for Apple optical drives

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
1. Please discontinue the combo drive. It seems like it's only being used to cripple less expensive systems so more expensive systems look more attractive.

Dual layer/dual format DVD burners are now breaking the $100 price barrier. There is no reason why a computer costing over $1000 should come with anything less then a superdrive at this point.

2. Slot loading drives. It's not that big of a deal but some people do actually use 3 inch CDR's and even 3 inch DVDR's like those used in Sony's DVD camcorders. I know it looks cool and fits well into the design of the imac but more practical would be better. It would suck to buy a $1900 system and not even have the choice to use 3 inch discs.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 5
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

1. Please discontinue the combo drive. It seems like it's only being used to cripple less expensive systems so more expensive systems look more attractive.

Dual layer/dual format DVD burners are now breaking the $100 price barrier. There is no reason why a computer costing over $1000 should come with anything less then a superdrive at this point.

2. Slot loading drives. It's not that big of a deal but some people do actually use 3 inch CDR's and even 3 inch DVDR's like those used in Sony's DVD camcorders. I know it looks cool and fits well into the design of the imac but more practical would be better. It would suck to buy a $1900 system and not even have the choice to use 3 inch discs.

I agree on the Combo side of things...

I also have mixed views about the slot. I loved my slot loading Grape iMac but now I have a TiBook slot and iMac G4 tray - the tray drive gets used a whole lot more (a lot cheaper to upgrade an iMac G4's optical drive ($40) than a iMac ICD's drive ($100) plus you can use any optical disk).

mrtotes
  • Reply 3 of 5
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Wow you certainly dug this one up from the past. And I'm still singing the same tune as I did a year and a half ago, ditch the combo drive.

As for the slot loading drives, I've kind of changed my opinion on those. I definitely like them on the laptops just because the trays always worry me, afraid they're going to break. But it would be nice it Apple added the ability to use 3" discs on the slot loaders. I know a lot of people don't use them but some do and considering the Nintendo Wii will be able to do this for a $200 console I'm sure a $1000 computer could too.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    I get warm and fuzzy again, o wait it's the beer.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

What the hell? I got a dual layer for 32 bucks off newegg and it works with all the iApps..

Unless you needed it for the imac or portables... :X