Newbie seeks answers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A couple of questions:

Is it easy to retro-fit airport card & memory to the new iMac (do you get instructions with kit or is it on web)?

If you upgrade from 256 to 512MB RAM from Apple you are charged £50. I assume this is paying for the additional 256 whereas if you were to retrofit a new chip would you have to buy a 512 and discard the old 256 (thereby paying more?). Or is there more than 1 port for memory chips?

If you opt for the plug in bluetooth adapter is it as reliable as factory fitted model?

Anyone know any links to printer reviews for Apples. I?m interested in a high quality photo printer primarily. Say around £200-250. Is wireless printing an option or not too common? I?m more concerned with print quality but wireless would be nice. What price am I looking at?

For wireless internet you need the airport extreme module but how does this affect your phone for standard non-broadband lines. I assume I will put my phone and airport module into an adapter and then plug this into the phone line. Therefore I can use phone & internet but not at the same time.

cheers

Andy Harris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andy harris

A couple of questions:

Is it easy to retro-fit airport card & memory to the new iMac (do you get instructions with kit or is it on web)?

Here are the instruction from Apple. (If that doesn't work it's just on the Apple support page.)

Quote:

If you upgrade from 256 to 512MB RAM from Apple you are charged £50. I assume this is paying for the additional 256 whereas if you were to retrofit a new chip would you have to buy a 512 and discard the old 256 (thereby paying more?). Or is there more than 1 port for memory chips?

There are two memory slots. Check out the Apple store - when you configure RAM, it tells you how many slots you've taken up.

Quote:

If you opt for the plug in bluetooth adapter is it as reliable as factory fitted model?

Don't know about reliability, but the external one sticks out of the back.

Quote:

Anyone know any links to printer reviews for Apples. I?m interested in a high quality photo printer primarily. Say around £200-250. Is wireless printing an option or not too common? I?m more concerned with print quality but wireless would be nice. What price am I looking at?

Apple sells printers, so you could look there for some info.

Quote:

For wireless internet you need the airport extreme module but how does this affect your phone for standard non-broadband lines. I assume I will put my phone and airport module into an adapter and then plug this into the phone line. Therefore I can use phone & internet but not at the same time.

If I understand you right, you'll plug the airport base station into an open phone outlet in the wall, and yes, when you're on the phone you can't use the internet and vice-versa.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

My dad has just brought a Canon iP6000D for a couple hundred quid. PC World were doing it for £179 online. Get this and an Airport Express base station for wireless connection to it. It works perfectly and the colour is superb! It has a little screen and uses 6 colours (magenta, cyan, yellow, photo cyan, photo magenta and black), which come in the form of ink tanks. You replace each colour as it runs out, instead of the whole block of colours. They also cost ~£8 each, so actually work out a lot cheaper compared to HPs catridges.

Quote:

Do you have broadband? If so the Airport Extreme base station will require a broadband modem with ethernet port. If you don't have one of these (ie a modem with a usb), get a wireless router from netgear or similar. If you have a phone line near where you want your printer to be, you could just buy another broadband modem, with ethernet connection, and hook that up to the Airport Express base station.

edit: Forget that last bit, I didn't read the question properly...