Half baked: The Apple Remote Control

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apologies if this has been vetted elsewhere?

Suppose you put a headless computer on your A/V shelf. How would you control it? Do you really need/want to use a notebook for everyhing? I wouldn?t, and so I suggest the ?rPod.?

Essentially, the rPod takes the iPod interface and uses it to wirelessly control a computer. Visually, the rPod would look and feel identical to an iPod. But where the iPod is intended to store and play music, the rPod is intended to interface and control a separate computer. For example, when linked by RF to a computer, the rPod downloads and displays the iTunes playlist. At that point, one could use the rPod interface as if it were an iPod and manage and play your entire media collection.

So, I see our gallant consumer gazing into his girlfriends eyes. A glass of "Blue Nun" in his left hand, he picks up his rPod with the right. After a wink to his attractive but slightly overweight date, he scrolls quickly through menus and lights the gas fireplace. Next, he accesses his 120 Gb iTunes collection and starts up a little Barry White. A couple more clicks of the wheel and the lights dim. He is THE MAN. Or not.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    That's pretty much what I had in mind...I guess there's no such thing as an original idea.

I googled "Airpod" and found a couple of mentions.Here is an interesting discussion of a similar device.

One difference between my conception and the one at engadget is that I'm focused primarily on the creation of a wireless interface...not on a streaming iPod. Certainly, an iPod which could do everything would be cool...but it would also be expensive. Accessing and controlling a computer remotely is a somewhat more ambitious proposal.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Perhaps you missed iPodlounge's reports regarding Griffin's Airclick, it's remote contrrol system for both Mac's and iPods.

link

looks very promising. this is exactly what I was waiting for.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

(bigger)

Beautiful design, John.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Perhaps you missed iPodlounge's reports regarding Griffin's Airclick, it's remote contrrol system for both Mac's and iPods.

link

looks very promising. this is exactly what I was waiting for.

What I want is an attachment that allows you to remotely control your mac thru your ipod. Then add airport express and you have a perfect solution.