An ignorant question: the differences b/w the G3 and the G4

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Pardon my ignorance (or if I'm beating a dead horse) but...

I'd really like to know what the difference is between the G3 and the G4, asides from the presence of AltiVec. I'm asking because I find myself exceedingly confused by various sources I've read saying that the G4 is simply a G3+AltiVec, while others say that the G4 is more than that.

With the rumour of a AltiVec-ized G3 coming up, how would such a CPU (assuming it existed) differ from a G4?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    That's a long story.

Let's just say the current G4 and the current G3 are a lot more different than the first G4 and the first G3 were. And no, there's more to it than "G3+ Altivec", in fact there was even in the beginning.

Have a look at the tech specs pages from moto (G4) and ibm (G3), you'll already see it there.

G-News
  • Reply 2 of 11
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Off the top of my head,...

G4 can use the MPX bus while the G3 can only use the 60X (less efficient)

G4 has/had wider buses to the cache.

G4 had a double precision FPU while the G3 would have to run the calculation through the FPU twice.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    iBook will probably go G4 by the end of 2003 so it's not much of an issue for very much longer.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by Multimedia:

<strong>iBook will probably go G4 by the end of 2003 so it's not much of an issue for very much longer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

iBook won't go G4 until it's necessary. And right now, it isn't. If the "GOBI" rumors are right, there's no reason for an iBook G4 in 2004 either.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    While it may not be necessary for the current iBook to get a G4, it's probably the last Mac to be introduced without Altivec.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    You pay less for a G3.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I will be surprised if the iBook isn't a G4 before this time next year.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    G4s are great. Altivec really helps because OS X and many iApps are optimized for it. Also, G4s support multiple processors, which really helps with OS X.

However, G3s have advantages too:

1. Cheap

2. Cool and small; perfect for portables

3. Faster at non-Altivec tasks than the G4

4. IBM makes it

5. More L2 cache (although no L3 cache)
  • Reply 9 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Oh, one other thing. It's not a technical dead end. The G3 is older than the G4, but in the hands of IBM, its life is just beginning. The G4 is basically a lame duck. It's reached the end of its usable lifespan and it needs replacement.

The G3, for example, now supports a 200 MHz bus. That's better than the quad-pumped 133 MHz bus on the Pentium 4 and better than the double-pumped 167 MHz bus on Athlons.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>The G3, for example, now supports a 200 MHz bus. That's better than the quad-pumped 133 MHz bus on the Pentium 4 and better than the double-pumped 167 MHz bus on Athlons.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds interesting. Is there an article on a place like Ars or Tom's Hardware somewhere that would explain this?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>The G3, for example, now supports a 200 MHz bus. That's better than the quad-pumped 133 MHz bus on the Pentium 4 and better than the double-pumped 167 MHz bus on Athlons.</strong><hr></blockquote>

AFAIK is the 200MHz bus of the IBM G3 only SDR (it may be DDR), which makes it slower than both of the above examples.

It's simple math;

1x200 = 200

2x167 = 333

4x133 = 533

Also, even though a SDR 200MHz bus would be faster than a DDR 100MHz bus (because of the higher address-speed, or more, if anyone would care to elaborate), the SDR one wouldn't beat even a DDR 133Mhz bus, and most certainly not a DDR 167Mhz bus, in most cases.