Isn't Mac Mini almost a subnotebook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If Apple can make a Mac Mini that weighs 2.9 pounds, doesn't that mean they should easily be able to add a 12 inch screen and keyboard and get it under 4 pounds? Does this mean a subnotebook should be coming soon?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That is a good point. However, I just don't think there's a market. The 12"er is so damn small already. Like I keep saying, they just need to get rid of the bezel and a bit off the edge keys, which would cut an inch of width, and length. And then make it a tiny bit thinner. Same size keyboard and screen, same SuperDooperDrive. Subnotebook. Sweet. Who knows if that's possible or profitable.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    dammit. i should just leave this place until crazy ideas like this go away. i thought mwsf would end the insanity.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

    Originally posted by spindler

    If Apple can make a Mac Mini that weighs 2.9 pounds, doesn't that mean ...



    No, because the Mac Mini uses a seperate brick for the power supply - lots of weight there.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,452member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ipodandimac

    dammit. i should just leave this place until crazy ideas like this go away. i thought mwsf would end the insanity.



    Look I was just going to mention that people would tolerate a 4 lbs subnotebook as long as the extra 1.1 lbs was devoted to a fusion generator.



    Geesh, and you thought people here were crazy.



    Nick
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

    Originally posted by trumptman

    Look I was just going to mention that people would tolerate a 4 lbs subnotebook as long as the extra 1.1 lbs was devoted to a fusion generator.



    Geesh, and you thought people here were crazy.



    Nick




    fusion eh? \
  • Reply 6 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by the cool gut

    No, because the Mac Mini uses a seperate brick for the power supply - lots of weight there.



    The power supply is separate for a laptop as well.



    Batteries on the other hand...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Did someone mention an Apple sub-notebook? Where, where ? seriously though I would die for one. 4.7 pounds is too heavy in my book; I?m a weakling ok.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I know. Size I can see. Weight? Get a Bowflex.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Relic

    Did someone mention an Apple sub-notebook? Where, where ? seriously though I would die for one. 4.7 pounds is too heavy in my book; I?m a weakling ok.



    spend your "apple sub-notebook" funds on a gym membership.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Whats wrong with the 12" Powerbook? I don't get why people want something else, when its already available (IMHO!!)!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by trevorM

    Whats wrong with the 12" Powerbook? I don't get why people want something else, when its already available (IMHO!!)!



    Some people want ultraportables, i.e. 10" laptops w/out optical drive (I would be in such a market). Personally I almost never use the optical drive on a laptop, so most of the time it is just bulk.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

    Originally posted by chych

    Some people want ultraportables, i.e. 10" laptops w/out optical drive (I would be in such a market). Personally I almost never use the optical drive on a laptop, so most of the time it is just bulk.



    I imagine Apple see no value in producing such a product.



    May I ask what on earth would you do on a computer with a 10" display?



    Word suck in 12" frankly and looks great on a 30" display
Sign In or Register to comment.