What didn't happen - and when will it?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
We still don't have a 3ghz G5



No Speed bumps for the iMac 2ghz must surly be possible?



Mini iPod still at 4Gb, that's a surprise.



No change on eMac - G5 must be possible and I don't believe that the processor costs more then the G4.



No change on either Powerbooks or iBooks (Are these still selling well, we weren't told?)



Clearly Apple is doing a lot right at the moment, and I am sure that their market share is going to grow from this low point. But there is one area that needs the utmost attention and that is browsing. Safari is incompatible with so many sites and for the most part you can get around it with Camino or Opera, I.E, or Firefox, but that is not the point. For most switcher who are used to just using Windows Internet Explorer and it "Just Works" browsing on a Mac is an ANTI-CLIMAX. People want to access their Bank on line and Apple needs to throw resources here because it is a real bone of contention with so many people.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,129member
    My guesses.



    In March we see.



    5GB iPod Minis

    iTunes 5.0

    New faster G4 Powerbooks.

    New Powermacs up to 2.8Ghz.

    Asteroid FW box for Audio.



    April



    Shake 4

    Final Cut 5

    DVD Studio Pro 4

    Motion 2.0

    New Audio app for Post.



    July

    Apple Projector

    Faster Xserve

    Apple Networking(Switches Fibre Channel, Ethernet)

    New iMac
  • Reply 2 of 18
    25th anniv. G5 mini cube
  • Reply 3 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Where's kormac for the post-keynote rundown?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    My guesses.



    In March we see.



    5GB iPod Minis

    iTunes 5.0

    New faster G4 Powerbooks.

    New Powermacs up to 2.8Ghz.

    Asteroid FW box for Audio.



    April



    Shake 4

    Final Cut 5

    DVD Studio Pro 4

    Motion 2.0

    New Audio app for Post.



    July

    Apple Projector

    Faster Xserve

    Apple Networking(Switches Fibre Channel, Ethernet)

    New iMac




    Xserve was just updated, it won't get another one this year.



    PM's, eMac, and iMac will get an update in March or April with the release of Tiger.



    PowerBook updates left till WWDC. There will have to be some developer oriented software spotlight for WWDC as well, not sure what it could be with Tiger so fresh out of the gate. I guess it could be a rehashing of Tiger, but hope that it is more than that.



    iBooks updated August to Sept for Back to school, along with the iMac mini (there is room to grow with existing G4 processors above the 1.42 Ghz top of the line, and an update will invigorate sales going into back to school and holiday shopping)
  • Reply 5 of 18
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Addison

    We still don't have a 3ghz G5



    No Speed bumps for the iMac 2ghz must surly be possible?



    Mini iPod still at 4Gb, that's a surprise.



    No change on eMac - G5 must be possible and I don't believe that the processor costs more then the G4.



    No change on either Powerbooks or iBooks (Are these still selling well, we weren't told?)




    This wasn't a keynote with room for updates. PowerMacs are usually updated in late January, and PowerBooks could be as well.





    Quote:

    Originally posted by Addison

    But there is one area that needs the utmost attention and that is browsing. Safari is incompatible with so many sites and for the most part you can get around it with Camino or Opera, I.E, or Firefox, but that is not the point. For most switcher who are used to just using Windows Internet Explorer and it "Just Works" browsing on a Mac is an ANTI-CLIMAX. People want to access their Bank on line and Apple needs to throw resources here because it is a real bone of contention with so many people.



    What are those MANY sites? I only stumple upon some once in a while. Btw. Apple IS working on both Safari 1.3 and 2.0.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    My guesses.



    In March we see.



    5GB iPod Minis

    iTunes 5.0

    New faster G4 Powerbooks.

    New Powermacs up to 2.8Ghz.

    Asteroid FW box for Audio.

    ...







    MARCH?

    I'll have to wait until March for my new PowerMac?

    Please, someone tell me Pbooks and PMacs will get bumped up sooner than that... I'm begging here...
  • Reply 7 of 18
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Addison

    ... No change on eMac - G5 must be possible and I don't believe that the processor costs more then the G4. ...



    I agree here, but my guess is that the eMac will simply be discontinued around mid-year, and around the same time the Mac Mini, even though selling like hotcakes (FINALLY the computer for the rest of us!), will be updated to a G5. But that and the PowerBook G5 are all waiting for lower-power/lower-heat versions of the chip, and who knows when they'll arrive.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

    Originally posted by thebeaglebeagle

    Please, someone tell me Pbooks and PMacs will get bumped up sooner than that... I'm begging here...



    Don't beg, it's SO unattractive. Faster G4 PowerBooks should come very soon; they have not been updated since last April and sales (down 29 percent) reflect that. Apple announced yesterday that they still have a backlog of orders for 2.5GHz Power Macs so don't hold your breath for faster machines before the spring.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BrunoBruin

    Don't beg, it's SO unattractive. Faster G4 PowerBooks should come very soon; they have not been updated since last April and sales (down 29 percent) reflect that. Apple announced yesterday that they still have a backlog of orders for 2.5GHz Power Macs so don't hold your breath for faster machines before the spring.





    *WOOOSH* (beaglebeagle lets out his breath)

    Nope, it didn't help.



    Maybe if I tell Steve that I'm turning blue?



    Okay, I'll wait until Jan. 26th. Then I'll just have to order. GAH!

    -d
  • Reply 10 of 18
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    New iBook G5 and PowerBook G5 to be shipped by 2Q 2005.

    No sh1t.. Check it out:



    Possible Taiwanese contractor leaks?

    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050114A7040.html
  • Reply 11 of 18
    No way!

    Holy cow.



    It's got to be an error.

    They wouldn't put a G5 in an iBook even if they COULD, it would throw their product line all out of wack.



    Still, pretty darn cool if even part of it is true.



    -d
  • Reply 12 of 18
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I'm wondering when the cinema displays will be updayed. 16ms refresh isn't cutting edge anymore, there are many offering 12ms and some even down to 8ms.



    Apple are behind the game here.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    no way. there's no way they will have a PB G5 and an iBook G5
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Most glaring omission for me was a relatively inexpensive 17" Cinema display. Lifted from the big PB to better leverage price.



    Hopefully "Asteroid" will be Mac mini form and design factor device to be released at the NAB show as a terrific add on for the Mac mini and all other Macs.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Addison

    We still don't have a 3ghz G5



    No Speed bumps for the iMac 2ghz must surly be possible?



    Mini iPod still at 4Gb, that's a surprise.



    No change on eMac - G5 must be possible and I don't believe that the processor costs more then the G4.



    No change on either Powerbooks or iBooks (Are these still selling well, we weren't told?)




    I know one of the things Apple under Jobs is trying to do is move away from the expectation that everything will be updated twice a year at Macworlds. They have done a lot of major product intros at special events, and often just slipstreamed speed bumps with a simple press release.



    Apple's sales tended to die a few months before each MacWorld. I'm surprised how much they released this time around--but you will notice it was pretty much all consumer oriented. I would expect other releases throughout this quarter. The new iMacs and the iBooks I wouldn't expect to see updated until Summer, however.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

    Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

    I know one of the things Apple under Jobs is trying to do is move away from the expectation that everything will be updated twice a year at Macworlds...



    It "seems" like that, yes, but have you read/heard/seen anything specific?

    You wrote that you "know"... how do you know?



    Trust me, I'm not picking on you, I'm just a desperate pathetic Mac addict who wants to buy a new GF PowerMac...

    :-)
  • Reply 17 of 18
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by thebeaglebeagle

    It "seems" like that, yes, but have you read/heard/seen anything specific?

    You wrote that you "know"... how do you know?




    Steve said as much in an interview some time back.



    Quote:

    Trust me, I'm not picking on you, I'm just a desperate pathetic Mac addict who wants to buy a new GF PowerMac... :-)



    Any bump this January will probably be pretty minor. They almost always are. So my guess is that you'd lose very little by pulling the trigger now.



    If Apple drops a bomb, it'll probably be at WWDC. And the last time they did it (with the PowerMac G5) the machine didn't ship until September. So if you need a PM, just get one.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Amorph

    ... So if you need a PM, just get one.



    Okay, thank you *everyone* for enduring my posts and my endless whining. I promise, "No More!"



    I'm going to order the darn thing on Jan 26th, updates or no.



    Onward through the fog!



    -douglas
Sign In or Register to comment.