Mac Mini use with Tiger

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello, I'm new to Apple and am really interested in this new Mini Mac. My question is how well will Tiger run on the little guy. I watched the Mac World keynote speech and was really impressed with what Tiger has to offer, and I would be very disappointed if the Mini does not offer a excellent Tiger experiance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by nwmacuser

Hello, I'm new to Apple and am really interested in this new Mini Mac. My question is how well will Tiger run on the little guy. I watched the Mac World keynote speech and was really impressed with what Tiger has to offer, and I would be very disappointed if the Mini does not offer a excellent Tiger experiance.

In general I'd imagine it would run very well. However, Steve demo'd things like Dashboard with widgets appearing using neat ripple effects which is a function of Core Image. The Mac mini's GPU (Radeon 9200) cannot use Core Image. Also, you can probably imagine the file indexing needed for Spotlight. Such indexing could tax performance on the mini's slower, 4200rpm notebook drive.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Indexing is done incrementally when files are saved, on the fly. The only time you're going to have a big indexing job is when you first upgrade, and it has to go through your entire drive once. I can't imagine the drive speed is going to have any effect on this that you could notice with anything less than direct on-board timing (as opposed to a stopwatch in hand).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Mac OS X Panther can run on 300 MHz (500 MHz efficiently) so I'd imagine that 1.25 GHz would be plenty to run the new OS.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Sure it will run fine. Unlike Windows ( which seems to need whomping hardware updates with each iteration) - each release of OS X just keeps getting faster and faster.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yikes600

In general I'd imagine it would run very well. However, Steve demo'd things like Dashboard with widgets appearing using neat ripple effects which is a function of Core Image. The Mac mini's GPU (Radeon 9200) cannot use Core Image. Also, you can probably imagine the file indexing needed for Spotlight. Such indexing could tax performance on the mini's slower, 4200rpm notebook drive.

According to the latest:

For computers without a programmable GPU, Core Image dynamically optimizes for the CPU, automatically tuning for Velocity Engine and multiple processors as appropriate.

from Apple's website.

So, it won't really matter. If the 9200 doesn't have the horsepower, the CPU/Altivec will take over.