memory upgrade question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a 1 ghz iMac G4 that I bought a little over a year ago. I ordered it with only 512 mb of ram and would like to upgrade it. Now the problem is that only the sodimm slot is accessible, and since I can only replace the 256 mb sodimm with a 512 one, I will only be able to max out at 768. My question is: is it safe to try to upgrade the hidden dimm myself to reach the 1024 I would like, or should I just leave it as it is?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

I have a 1 ghz iMac G4 that I bought a little over a year ago. I ordered it with only 512 mb of ram and would like to upgrade it. Now the problem is that only the sodimm slot is accessible, and since I can only replace the 256 mb sodimm with a 512 one, I will only be able to max out at 768. My question is: is it safe to try to upgrade the hidden dimm myself to reach the 1024 I would like, or should I just leave it as it is?

I think it wouldn't be wise because I believe that stuff is soldered onto the board. This is of course from a person using an iBook. I'm pretty sure they used the same philosophy for the iMac though. Apple is pretty evil about this memory game.