New to Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm going off to college this summer and I want my computer to be safe from all those evil spyware/malware and viri. I have been a windows user and while I'm kinda sad to let it go, I would like a more stable system.

I would like a nice mac in the $1000-$1400 range but not a cent more. Any suggestions? I don't know which system would be good for the dorm? The power book looks ill but it's too much money. The imac looks too easy to be stolen as it doesn't look like it can be locked down with a laptop cable. Would an ibook be the best choice for me? I'd get a mac mini as it is tempting but the video card scares me away. Whats the best system for me?

Thanks for helping out a noob such as myself.

PS - Also keep in mind this will be in a dorm room where there will be much partying around so it can't be delicate incase we decide to start bringing down the roof.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    If you don't need portability then I would suggest the iMac because you will get the most bang for your buck. Plus, it's very compact.

Be sure you check out the education prices on Apple's computers (apple.com/store) because they give you discounts if you are a student. Heck, you could get a single 1.8GHz G5 PowerMac for $1350 and use your existing monitor if you have one.

If you really want portability, then definitely look at the iBooks or the 12" PowerBook. Keep in mind the PowerBooks will probably be refreshed sometime soon.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

If you don't need portability then I would suggest the iMac because you will get the most bang for your buck. Plus, it's very compact.

Be sure you check out the education prices on Apple's computers (apple.com/store) because they give you discounts if you are a student. Heck, you could get a single 1.8GHz G5 PowerMac for $1350 and use your existing monitor if you have one.

If you really want portability, then definitely look at the iBooks or the 12" PowerBook. Keep in mind the PowerBooks will probably be refreshed sometime soon.

Yea, I would splurge 1600 for the powerbook but it has a 12" monitor which is too small. \

What do you mean they will be refreshed? You mean drop in price?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Ok, well I thought about it and I think I will decide on the imac g5 because of it's sexy design and it contains an ide drive which will be faster along with faster clock speed. Also, it will still easily be portable. One more question however. Is there anyway I can prevent it from being stolen? Is there anyway to lock it down like a laptop? Thanks.

Awesome, I found out the state university gives you a discount at apple.com

I can get:

17" iMac G5 1.8GHz, 512MB, 80GB SATA, Geforce FX5200 for $1266.00

Apple shaved $106 off the price. 8)

Also, what is this superdrive and what are it's benefits? I'd only use cd to install and burn cds.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris8017

Ok, well I thought about it and I think I will decide on the imac g5 because of it's sexy design and it contains an ide drive which will be faster along with faster clock speed. Also, it will still easily be portable. One more question however. Is there anyway I can prevent it from being stolen? Is there anyway to lock it down like a laptop? Thanks.

Awesome, I found out the state university gives you a discount at apple.com

I can get:

17" iMac G5 1.8GHz, 512MB, 80GB SATA, Geforce FX5200 for $1266.00

Apple shaved $106 off the price. 8)

Also, what is this superdrive and what are it's benefits? I'd only use cd to install and burn cds.

If you just use cd's to install and burn, just get the combo, it is a waste of money to go super. The superdrive lets you burn dvds, and from the sounds of it, you won't need to. And the G5 iMac does have a "security slot" behind the stand that can be attached to a stationary item with a laptop cable like object. And for that price you'd be nuts not to.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Yea, true.

OK, I was just wondering because computers and laptops get stolen a lot and I was afraid that such a compact computer could easily be stolen. Glad it has that security lock. One quick question. I know windows inside and out. I feel very comfortable with it. I'm afraid I won't feel comfortable with the mac OS. Do most windows users feel right at home?

Primarily I will be doing college work, internet browsing, instand messaging, watching dvds, downloading/listening to music A LOT. I think 80gb should be fine for me. In my current windows machine I have an 80gb and 160gb and only like 15gb are used total

Thanks again for the help. You guys have been helpful. 8)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris8017

Yea, true.

OK, I was just wondering because computers and laptops get stolen a lot and I was afraid that such a compact computer could easily be stolen. Glad it has that security lock. One quick question. I know windows inside and out. I feel very comfortable with it. I'm afraid I won't feel comfortable with the mac OS. Do most windows users feel right at home?

Some things will definitely take some getting used to (the window-closing widget is the red button in the upper left hand corner, and the menu is up on top of the screen, not below the titlebar, and applications quit when you tell them to, not when you've closed the last window), but Apple has engineered a fairly consistent interface, that for example uses drag-and-drop extensively, and which rewards experimentation. Feel free to play around and see what happens.

Also, they've set up the onboard help so that if you use Windows terminology, it will direct you to the Mac equivalent. They also ship some "Mac OS X for Windows users" help. And of course, you're welcome to come back here and pepper us with questions. There are lots of helpful people here.

Good luck! And enjoy your iMac!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I used to be a Windows user myself. You can make the switch to MacOSX in less that an hour. And I am being generous. Be warned most of the time you spend is being amazed.

You install apps by simply dragging and dropping, I think that was my biggest culture shock. To uninstall just delete the app. No registry. Sometimes old habits die hard. :o)

Bear in mind it also has a real help system.

Good choice. Have fun.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I'm gonna travel down to the mac store and pick some of the employees brains. Then I'll test drive them and see which one I like the best.