My one pages complaint...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Why can't there be some quick masking tool for images.

Many of the included images have white backgrounds. You can move them around, rotate, duplicate, all that. However, if you overlay one over another you cannot remove the solid background.

Really, launching Photoshop is not the solution.

I mentioned this at MacWorld and the somewhat-snarky Apple rep kept emphasizing how it wasn't a graphics application.

I think the app is A+ otherwise. Obviously there will be improvements, but its great as is. I've only played with it a bit, but I do have experience with Keynote and it essentially works the same. Too bad I have to launch photoshop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Apple description of Pages.

Quote:

Don?t Crop, Mask

Many high-end design programs let you mask photos, a non-destructive alternative to cropping. So does Pages, and here?s how easy it is:

Drag the photo into your document.

Select it and choose Mask from the Format menu.

See the mask window? Drag it to the part of your photo you want people to see and use the selection handles to resize it.

When you?re done, double-click the mask window, and the rest of the photo will disappear. You can then reposition your ?masked? image wherever you?d like. You can even resize or rotate it.

Is that what you're talking about?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    That's close (and a handy feature) but what I want is a non-rectangular mask. For example, say I wanted to place that iMac picture in my presentation. It has a white background. I want to make the white background transparent so the text will flow around the image and that if I place another image below it it won't be covered with the iMac's white background.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

That's close (and a handy feature) but what I want is a non-rectangular mask. For example, say I wanted to place that iMac picture in my presentation. It has a white background. I want to make the white background transparent so the text will flow around the image and that if I place another image below it it won't be covered with the iMac's white background.

edit:

nevermind!

\
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I would be a good feature but i dont think this program is aimed at graphic pros
  • Reply 5 of 8
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    I'm surprised that it doesn't support this, particularly since if I recall correctly the MacWorld demo included an example that flowed text around a round object (an apple). Perhaps you have to create the images as PNGs or TIFFs with an alpha channel in order to do this, but again it would be nice to be able to do it within the app.

Edit: I was right it was an Apple and text did flow around it:

Also of interest when I tried to take that screenshot I initially did Cmd-Shift-4 and then space to grab the window and Quicktime blanked it with the copyright as seen here. You can clearly see that the time is right in the middle of the movie, the exact point shown in the above pic in fact.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    well, that is the first frame of the feed, ..
  • Reply 7 of 8
  • Reply 8 of 8
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

well, that is the first frame of the feed, ..

Yes it is but it is not what was showing in the player when I took the screen shot.