What Superdrive is shipping with new G4's?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can someone tell me whether Apple is shipping the new Pioneer DVR-A05 superdrives yet in the G4's, or are they still shipping the DVR-A04's?

Thanks for any real knowledge on this subject.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Pioneer DVR-104s, mostly, but some iMacs have been shipping with LG DVD-RW drives or something like that.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks to Eugene for the quick answer.

One more question: I know that if I replace my non-writing DVD in my G4 Tower with a DVR-A05, that iDVD will run. I'd rather have the DVR-A05 in a firewire case, for sake of portability. Can anyone tell me for sure if iDVD will run with a Pioneer Superdrive (A04, A05, whatever) hook up as a firewire drive?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    no, iDVD only works with internal drives.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>no, iDVD only works with internal drives.</strong><hr></blockquote>

which is retarted
  • Reply 5 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

which is retarted</strong><hr></blockquote>

yup.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Luki:

<strong>Can someone tell me whether Apple is shipping the new Pioneer DVR-A05 superdrives yet in the G4's, or are they still shipping the DVR-A04's?

Thanks for any real knowledge on this subject.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They ship with DVR-104. You should only order a new MDD with the combo drive and then add a DVR-105 which needs 10.2.3 for complete support.

I expect Apple to announce DVR-105 equipped MDDs at MacWorld Expo 2003 San Francisco. But it depends on how many 104 units they still have in stock. They may wait until March for the refreshed MDD PowerMacs to change the SuperDrive. But I think it more likely that the 105 MDD will start shipping next week.

iDVD will only work with an internal DVD-R drive. You can forget about the external DVD-R drive unless you are only going to use DVD Studio Pro 1.5.

[ 12-31-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>