Mac mini compared to pc

oleole
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I really consider buying one, but I dont know if it will be big enough to make dvd from a video camera, how big a pc would I need to make the same things? I only know pc, and dont know if it is possible to compare them, but it you can please tell me something about it

Ole

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Sure, it can. A DVD is ~6 gigs and the mini-mac has either a 40 gig or 80 gig hard drive.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ole

I really consider buying one, but I dont know if it will be big enough to make dvd from a video camera, how big a pc would I need to make the same things? I only know pc, and dont know if it is possible to compare them, but it you can please tell me something about it

Ole

The Mac mini will make perfect DVD's as long as you buy it with the DVD burner upgrade. In fact, as it comes with iLife 05 it will be perfect for several reasons.

1. You can plug your DV camera in and get to make an instant DVD. It rewinds your DV tape then plays it and burns a copy direct to DVD.

2. iMove and iDVD are the best consumer editing/ DVD authoring tools around so you can't go far wrong, and they are very easy to use.

3. Even the 1.25GHz model will have plenty of power for editing/ burning. I've been using an 800mhz G4 iMac with no probs.

My only reccomendation is to upgrade to the 80 gig drive if you have the money.. it'll just give you that bit more space when you have all your music, pics and films on. In fact. if you are serious about editing/ burning then the 80 gig HD is pretty much essential. Of course, you could always get an external firewire drive at a later date and they can be very reasonably priced at the moment.

Happy editing
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Sure, it can. A DVD is ~6 gigs and the mini-mac has either a 40 gig or 80 gig hard drive.

~6 gigs? you over estimating fool! They are like 4.7 Gigs....
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The thing is that you really can't compare the mini to a PC. The closest thing in the Windows world that you can compare it to would be a thin client of some kind. You'll never find a similarly priced system from Dell that can fit in the palm of your hands. If the iMac G5 makes you ask "Where's the computer" then the mini makes you ask "That's a computer?" It's small. It will fit anywhere. It's powerful. It can burn DVDs, photo editing, almost anything you can imagine, and then if you want, you can unplug it and throw it in your back pack, and because it's so light, it's doubtful you'll ever notice it's in there. So if you're looking to choose between either the mini or a PC tower, you've got to realize what kind of real estate comes with that tower. It's something you sit on the floor next to your desk. The mini can sit on the desk and be hidden if a piece of paper is over it. How can you beat that? And what kind of statistic or price comes with that? For $599 you have a machine that completely rocks. Get the mini.