First-ever Mac for a Switcher...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all

This is my first-ever post and I'm totally new to the Apple world, so be gentle with me!

I'm currently using a Wintel box (booo!) but I've always admired the Mac range for years and wanted one when I bought my first computer and the original iMacs were around. Sadly my budget was limited and with the cheapest iMac at £915 British pounds, it was beyond my price range - I got a decent PC for £550 and the rest is history - it's been PCs ever since.

Now all that's changed though - my budget is better and the Mac range is much more affordable. And my 3-year-old PC is getting slower and noisier as the fans get rattly, and I'm getting very very tired of how clunky and annoying Windows XP is getting - I get security alerts, spyware, constant massive file downloads just to fix the latest security holes - you get the picture.

So with moving to my first-ever home of my own, a little studio flat, I'm not taking this rattling heap with me - it's time for a new computer and I'd decided for sure - I'm making the switch!

Now although my budget is quite healthy now, my PC experience has also taught me how little I need a really powerful machine - I word process, surf the web, listen to music via my computer at that's it. I've never even used the CD-burner on my PC so my needs are pretty basic. So I don't want to go crazy. I also don't want to buy anything too big, another reason why the current all-in-one Macs appeal so much.

I don't need power so all PowerMacs are out, and I don't want a laptop - despite the space-saving I just can't get on with laptop keyboards and touchpads.

So it's an eMac, an iMac or the new Mac Mini.

What I need help with is which to choose. My main issue is NOISE - since I leave my computer on most of the time and I'll be in basically a one-room flat, I need as quiet a machine as possible.

Apple seems to boast about how quiet the Mac Mini and iMac are, but don't seem to mention anything about the eMac.

I can cope with SOME noise, but don't want anything more than a very gentle background hum and certainly nowhere near as loud as my multi-fan PC tower.

The iMac is more power than I need but I loved the very compact design and beautiful looks, but I'm worried by some forum posts I've seen which suggests the 17" models may be noisier than advertised and have screen problems. The Mac mini is cute and if it's as quiet as they say would look great if I can find a nice-looking silver TFT monitor to match.

But I'm really tempted by the eMac as it seems the best value even compared to the mini Mac. I've tried "listening" to an eMac in an AppleStore but obviously in a shop it's hard to be objective.

Anyone got any suggestions about which Mac should be my first-ever please? All contributions gratefully received.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    If noise is an issue, do NOT get an eMac. It sounds as if you're in the airport.

For your needs, Mac mini is perfect. Just up the RAM to 512 and you're set to go.

But you will need an external display, so you need to consider that too.

The iMac is good too, an all-in-one with the screen too. As I see it, your choice is between the Mac mini and iMac. If you have an LCD display already, or even CRT that you don't want to throw out, get the Mac mini. If you don't want to take anything with you and don't want to have to search for compatible cheap LCD displays, get the iMac.

Good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 32
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Get a Mac mini and this Samsung LCD:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...001-146&depa=0

Should be "whisper quiet" and take a very small amount of space
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Wow thanks for such quick replies guys!

I was going to ask why you recommended that particular monitor but having looked closer I think I can see why - it really is a great design - ultra-slim, the cables hidden, it's beautiful! Plus the Samsung logo isn't displayed on the bezel itself so it wouldn't jar with the "Appleness" of my system.

I'm wondering if I could place my Mac Mini on the bottom of the stand, tucked underneath the screen. That could look really nice. Would the Samsung definitely work okay with a Mac Mini - and am I right in thinking the Mac Mini has a DVI output and the Samsung can accept DVI, meaning better picture quality than a standard connection?

It's a little on the expensive side but with the Mac Mini 1.25GHz with 512Mb upgrade and Apple wired keyboard and mouse, that would come in at £427 plus I found the Samsung at £279 so that's £706 total. An eMac with a 512Mb upgrade would be £599, but I think an extra £107 might well be worth it for the nicer display and quietness.

Any more posts still appreciated guys, particularly from eMac owners and suggestions on monitors to team with a Mac Mini - I'd be looking at a 17" display with DVI input which matches the Mac Mini as closely as possible.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

If noise is an issue, do NOT get an eMac. It sounds as if you're in the airport.

Good luck!

Thats funny.... we have an eMac and I didn't think it even had a fan.

I had to ask my kids if it made noise just to be sure and they said no
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

Thats funny.... we have an eMac and I didn't think it even had a fan.

I had to ask my kids if it made noise just to be sure and they said no

How's that funny?

It's loud and it does have a fan. Which is fine for whats its built for; computer labs with 150 students working on different computers which pretty much, neutralizes the noise.

On a relatively quiet room it sounds like an airport, and I have no desire to extend this argument any further as I only explained my view of the three computers and their levels of noise.

For me, eMacs make too much noise and thats, simply, it.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RSteve

It's a little on the expensive side but with the Mac Mini 1.25GHz with 512Mb upgrade and Apple wired keyboard and mouse, that would come in at £427 plus I found the Samsung at £279 so that's £706 total.

I'd go for the Mac mini + LCD : Smaller, quieter and lower power consumption.

But, I would suggest *not* getting Apple's stupid one-button mouse. An alternative would be this Belkin optical two-button mouse with scroll wheel for £14.13 ex. delivery: belkin mouse

Good luck with your purchase & welcome to the world of Mac!
  • Reply 7 of 32
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    They're all telling you to get the mini because it's new and they want one.

Get the iMac.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

They're all telling you to get the mini because it's new and they want one.

Get the iMac.

Actually, no, I don't want a Mac mini.

I think a Mac mini would be better for him because he doesn't need the increased power of an iMac and he therefore might as well save himself some money.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Get the mini if you need a cheap computer and already have a screen, speakers, keyboard, and mouse.

Otherwise, get the iMac.

The iMac comes with everything you need and will last significantly longer than the mini. It will also be cheaper to upgrade the ram or hard disk on the iMac a few years from now when you need a little more oomph.

In a one room flat, the simplicity of the iMac can be greatly appreciated. No need for seperate desk speakers or wires to and from the screen. If you need a bit more sound, an iSub can be had for $40. The iSub diverts bass from the built in speakers. This means not only do you get a subwoofer, but the existing speakers can use all of their amplification power for the higher frequencies. This makes them distort less and sound clearer.

I vote: iMac (if you've got the money)
  • Reply 10 of 32
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Get the mini if you need a cheap computer and already have a screen, speakers, keyboard, and mouse.

Otherwise, get the iMac.

The iMac comes with everything you need and will last significantly longer than the mini. It will also be cheaper to upgrade the ram or hard disk on the iMac a few years from now when you need a little more oomph.

In a one room flat, the simplicity of the iMac can be greatly appreciated. No need for seperate desk speakers or wires to and from the screen. If you need a bit more sound, an iSub can be had for $40. The iSub diverts bass from the built in speakers. This means not only do you get a subwoofer, but the existing speakers can use all of their amplification power for the higher frequencies. This makes them distort less and sound clearer.

I vote: iMac (if you've got the money)

I agree. Mac Mini is for those who *already* have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. otherwise, i would definately go for the iMac G5 low-end with mouse, flat panel display, and keyboard.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

How's that funny?

It's loud and it does have a fan. Which is fine for whats its built for; computer labs with 150 students working on different computers which pretty much, neutralizes the noise.

On a relatively quiet room it sounds like an airport, and I have no desire to extend this argument any further as I only explained my view of the three computers and their levels of noise.

For me, eMacs make too much noise and thats, simply, it.

ok then you are wrong
  • Reply 12 of 32
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    i have an emac and i only hear a faint sound when im not listening to music. it sounds like theres something wrong with the fan in yours Gene Clean. my emac is much quieter than my dads p3 tower...much quieter.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

ok then you are wrong

Maybe I am, but how does this matter? Its an opinion based on experience with several eMacs, including those in school labs, and is something that can vary from person to person.

I simply stated my opinion on the eMac and I frankly find it loud. Maybe something's wrong with my fan, or maybe something's wrong with 200 other fans in my local high school where I perform volunteer work in their computer lab, but sure as hell I didn't ask you to clarify how your eMac sounded and sure as hell will not make this topic 'oh my eMac is quiet as a whisper, oh yours sucks' kind of topic by continuing this conversation with you.

The eMac is loud, in my opinion, and lets agree to disagree shall we?
  • Reply 14 of 32
    I work with eMacs, iMacs, G4s and G5s at work (school). The eMac doesn't seem to be any noisier than our G4s. The iMacs are quieter.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    kinkkink Posts: 6member
    Well I am also a recent switcher. But I ordered an iBook. Reasons are for one that I mostly needed a notebook and for two that I did not want to bother with buying monitor, kboard etc.. Just plug it in and go.

All in all I do agree that MiniMac IS a good switcher machine. Build for that task and it will surely do the job that Apple intended it to do.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Sincere thanks to all who've posted so far... it's really kind of you to post such well-researched and thoughtful replies... I can see I'm going to enjoy the Mac world if people are so keen to help a poor newbie like me.

Please don't argue on my account, I'm happy for everyone just to express their own experiences and then I have a range of opinions to guide me. I think the trouble with the eMac is it obviously does have a fan - I noticed that in the store - but I think maybe fans just vary a little in how much noise they make and it depends on the particular machine you get so it's kind of pot luck. Also I think fans get noisier as the machine gets older - my PC fan certainly did. The one in the store seems quiet but as I say it's difficult to tell and it doesn't guarantee I'd get a quiet one, or that it wouldn't get noisy over time.

I think the iMac is more power than I need but it's true I guess that it might last longer before I might have to upgrade it - and the all-in-one design is neater than the Mac mini would be. It's also not that much more than the £700-odd I'd spend on a Mac mini with a nice LCD - the iMac starts at £899 though I'd want a memory upgrade so I guess that's £950, so the Mac Mini could give me a useful saving.

Regarding the comment about the Apple mouse, Mr. H, I think it looks nice but I agree it doesn't seem the best to use. I was thinking about getting the Apple keyboard/mouse combo though because obviously the keyboard is mapped specifically for the Mac with the Apple key etc. but if there's a 3rd-party keyboard that is better I'd consider it.

I also kind of assumed it wouldn't be worth getting a two-button mouse because although I'm used to two-button as a Windows user, I assumed OSX would be designed around a one-button system, rendering the second button unnecessary, is this not so? I do like my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer because it has two extra buttons either side which I have got used to using as "back" and "forward" in my web browser, and it's a USB mouse so I guess I could use it - it's white and grey wouldn't look too out of place, though I suppose the Microsoft logo might! I would also miss a scroll wheel but again I kind of assumed OSX wouldn't be set up to support anything other than a one-button Apple mouse.

One thing no-one has mentioned so far is the posts I've seen elsewhere on this forum which suggests the screen quality of 17" iMacs isn't very good compared to the 20" iMac (which really WOULD be an extravagance for me!) and also that some 17" iMacs have actually been quite noisy despite Apple's "whisper-quiet" claims? Any comments/experiences there?

It's either a Mac mini with 512Mb upgrade and nice 17" silver TFT or a iMac 17" 1.6GHz with a 512Mb upgrade I guess, just wonder if the iMac is worth £200-250 extra for my needs.... probably not....

I do wonder about waiting under the new OSX is released - is it called Tiger? But I really wanted it ASAP as I'm moving into my new place any day now and could really miss having a computer. Is it worth waiting?

Sorry to ramble on! One I begin the type I can't stop!
  • Reply 17 of 32
    One last thing - if the Mac Mini and iMac are so much quieter, I presume it's because they don't have fans - but with the components all so close together how to they cool them without fans?
  • Reply 18 of 32
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

One last thing - if the Mac Mini and iMac are so much quieter, I presume it's because they don't have fans - but with the components all so close together how to they cool them without fans?

They have fans, they're just quieter. It might have something to do with the fact that the eMac has to deal with a CRT (massive heat generator) and a built-in amplifier much larger than either the mini's or the iMac's.

The 17" iMac's LCD isn't as good as the 20"'s, but monitor and keyboard and mouse quality are pretty subjective, so take them for a spin and decide for yourself if you like them. I use the Apple keyboard and mouse, and I prefer them to most third-party solutions, but you might prefer something else. They're solidly built, at least. My major gripe with the keyboard is that there are no feet in the back that I can lower to flatten it, but I can deal with that.

I'd also recommend the iMac over the mini, if you can swing the extra cost, but the mini should be a good little soldier.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    What you really need to do is go to an Apple retailer, and spec out what your ideal machine would be in each segment of the whole product line, and then try each one individually. You might find that a far more expensive machine on your initial purchase could serve your need for a much longer time, than just a computer that satisfies your immediate needs today.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Regarding the comment about the Apple mouse, Mr. H, I think it looks nice but I agree it doesn't seem the best to use. I was thinking about getting the Apple keyboard/mouse combo though because obviously the keyboard is mapped specifically for the Mac with the Apple key etc. but if there's a 3rd-party keyboard that is better I'd consider it.

I also kind of assumed it wouldn't be worth getting a two-button mouse because although I'm used to two-button as a Windows user, I assumed OSX would be designed around a one-button system, rendering the second button unnecessary, is this not so? I do like my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer because it has two extra buttons either side which I have got used to using as "back" and "forward" in my web browser, and it's a USB mouse so I guess I could use it - it's white and grey wouldn't look too out of place, though I suppose the Microsoft logo might! I would also miss a scroll wheel but again I kind of assumed OSX wouldn't be set up to support anything other than a one-button Apple mouse.

Nah, Mac OS X is designed around multi-button mice, it's just that ctrl-click can be used as right click if you only have a one button mouse or have a laptop.

The Apple mouse is nice and all, but a lot of people prefer more buttons. Your Intellimouse would work fine, as would any other USB/BT mice. The Logitech MX-510 works for me.

As for keyboards, it depends. The Apple one is ok, and with the price drop a decent price. There are nicer ones out there though, like the Tactile Pro or the Studioboard.