Change iTunes song with F7/8

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is it possible? I think it would be really useful to configure the F7 and F8 buttons to change to the next iTunes song. Especially when using other programs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    The shareware app I use to put play/pause, next track and prev track buttons in the menu bar, is called Synergy and can also do this. Look into synergy, or some other free application that does the same and chances are they can do this for you.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

Is it possible? I think it would be really useful to configure the F7 and F8 buttons to change to the next iTunes song. Especially when using other programs.

best app for this: sizzling keys

it allows for global hot keys, as well as some other cool features.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

If you're using Panther, go into system preferences, click on keyboard and mouse, keyboard shortcuts, then create a new shortcut (the little + icon) choose app iTunes then choose the menu item (Next Song) make the key F7 or whatever. Restart iTunes

voilá

(although it doesn't seem to work! - F7 appears in the menu though!)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

If you're using Panther, go into system preferences, click on keyboard and mouse, keyboard shortcuts, then create a new shortcut (the little + icon) choose app iTunes then choose the menu item (Next Song) make the key F7 or whatever. Restart iTunes

voilá

(although it doesn't seem to work! - F7 appears in the menu though!)

but that only works if itunes is the front most app. the sizzling keys app makes it global.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

but that only works if itunes is the front most app. the sizzling keys app makes it global.

yeah i use sizzling keys myself, i find it unresponsive the first time it's used since logging in, it takes a few seconds to respond. (I missed the fact he wanted to use it in other apps)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    thank you guys for the help. i downloaded sizzling keys and i really like it. its a big help