Oldest registerd domains

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Was browsing the net and came accross this interesting site with the oldest currently registered active domanis for the web. http://www.jottings.com/100-oldest-dot-com-domains.htm Apple is number 64. Sorry if it doesn't belong in general discussion, just throught it is interesting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Notice the incredible foresight of Microsoft registering so early.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Notice the incredible foresight of Microsoft registering so early.

"The Internet? We are not interested in it"

-- Bill Gates, 1993

"Sometimes we do get taken by surprise. For example, when the Internet came along, we had it as a fifth or sixth priority."

-- Bill Gates, Jul, 1998

--B
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Hmm... I'd have thought that xxx.com would've been one of the first domains - I mean, has there ever been an internet w/o pr0n?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    hey if apple didnt have a website until 1987 and the first retail stores didnt come out until way later.. than how did they sell computers? if my info is correct they started selling the imac in 1984... so what? did they just have like a magazine or something?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

hey if apple didnt have a website until 1987 and the first retail stores didnt come out until way later.. than how did they sell computers? if my info is correct they started selling the imac in 1984... so what? did they just have like a magazine or something?

How could they have had an iMac before the i existed? Although it was AIO.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 8
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    haha oops. i mean the mac. not the imac. but my?? how did they sell their products before the website was made?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

"The Internet? We are not interested in it"

-- Bill Gates, 1993

I quit a company in 1995 after I went to my boss and proposed that I set up a website for the company (it was an educational software company). He said "We have no reason to have a website".

Now of course they do have one. About a year or 2 after I left.

Technically he was somewhat right, although his argument wasn't. Ecommerce itself was a pain then but it would have at least been a great resource for placing phone orders and showing company/product info. It would have at least reduced their print catalog and design/printing/storing/mailing needs enormously.

Rick Abrams, you shmuck.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    How did people know of apples pre-internet/retail stores? There are quite a number of classic apple posters, maybe created a little buzz back then. There was the very famous commercial in 84, only aired once, but put the world on noitce in a sense. Lots of print stuff if you look at internet hisotry of apple sites. And there were stores that sold apple merchandise, so it was out there. Apple has always had small share, but seems to always grab attention.