Apple Sony Digital Film and the iPod

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Here is a pure bit of conjecture. It is *not* a rumour.

HD video is starting to take off. Both in the professional and prosumer realm.

Camcorders traditionally come with tape drives to allow removable storage - but the tape component is an ongoing problem for HD.

The tape drive is a very different bit of electronics to the camera - and compromises the design. Cameras would be cheaper, lighter and more reliable without a bolted-on tape drive.

Formats are not settled and heavy compression is required to make the footage fit on standard DV tapes. Higher capacity tapes present different problems.

And worst of all, capture of footage from tape is at 1 x speed.

So the industry needs a better solution. It needs digital film.

Imagine something like this.

A small self-contained hard drive which could accept fast data streams in different formats. It's weight and size needs to be tape like.

Ideally it should have enough storage for at least a half hour of hi-def continuous capture. Say 60GB. A slot in the camera would accept the device. And if it becomes full, another drive could be slotted in in seconds.

A robust connector capable of fast data transfer on and off the drive would be essential. And ideally the drive would come with a small screen which would show the list of takes and times. Perhaps a frame of preview?

Such an innovation would be welcomed.

Hmmm... Think about it....

Doesn't a certain computer manufacturer make a device *exactly* like this?

and wouldn't a hook-up with a Japanese CE maker allow a new standard to be kicked-off?

This would not be a massive market. But it would be a very visible high profile application.

Opinions

Carni?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Oh well - clearly no one is impressed with the idea of the iPod replacing tapes in the new world of HD TV.

I imagined a bright new world where the camera operator would have a bag-full of iPod photos - and their screens would show a directory of takes and a thumbnail of the scene.

A runner would rush the pod over to editing where rushes could be viewed without the need for capture. It would be like the future.....

But..

Having looked at the data transfer rate of the iPod - perhaps it is not currently feasible. The iPod drive would struggle with meagre compressed DV never mind the demands of HD.

Carni
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carniphage

A small self-contained hard drive which could accept fast data streams in different formats. It's weight and size needs to be tape like.

Ideally it should have enough storage for at least a half hour of hi-def continuous capture. Say 60GB. A slot in the camera would accept the device. And if it becomes full, another drive could be slotted in in seconds.

A robust connector capable of fast data transfer on and off the drive would be essential. And ideally the drive would come with a small screen which would show the list of takes and times. Perhaps a frame of preview?

Such an innovation would be welcomed.

Hmmm... Think about it....

Doesn't a certain computer manufacturer make a device *exactly* like this?

and wouldn't a hook-up with a Japanese CE maker allow a new standard to be kicked-off?

This would not be a massive market. But it would be a very visible high profile application.

Carni?

i cut out parts of your psot cause it was long.... anyways:

first of all, there are already devices that do exactly what you're talking about. i could go borrow one in 15 minutes if i wanted. it's really cool cause you can produce videos faster than real-time (since there's no capturing time). 2nd of all, the iPod's hard drive is FAR too slow (RPMs) to capture video, especially HD. A lot of people seem to have the misconception that the iPod can be (successfully) used for such purposes. so basically, the straight-to-hard drive devices will become better and cheaper, and the iPod will NEVER be used in that way, or at least by anyone with a grain of video knowledge.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Yeah, I realised that the performance of the iPod drive was dramatically slower than thought soon after posting. From what I can see - the Toshiba drive in the photo would have difficulty with even DV data rates.

A HD mjpeg style compression would require something at least four or eight times faster.

And I guess uncompressed HD would require something altogether different like a striped array.

Carni
  • Reply 4 of 5
    yeah, well there plenty of free podcasts or whatever on the internet that are supposedly "designed" for

workouts, but remember -- you get what you pay for -- the creators of these podcasts have to rely

on "free" music...... they can't license real hits, they could never afford to .... if you look

carefully at the playlists, you'll realize they are all either outdated techno from back in the 90's,

or they are really "underground" (i.e. terribly, terribly boring) tracks, with just a beat going

forever until u want to kill yourself -- ....

If you want something that's really going to get you motivated and keep you motivated...

I recommend the "Euro Club Hits" series -- it's on iTunes -- you can just search for it,

or try this link:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...Club+Hits+Vol+
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by witweew View Post

yeah, well there plenty of free podcasts...............

This has nothing to do with what is being discussed. But thanks for the link.