Picasa from google = iPhoto for windows

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Check out the newly released picasa 2 for windows from google at www.picasa.com.

Is this a rip off of iPhoto or what? the interface, the features, the screen organisation, everything just mimics iPhoto. And it's free as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hey, i'll always cut anything by google some slack anything that shows "the herd" that there are better alternatives to windows schlock applications is fine by me.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Well, I just tried it on my Windows PC at work. It does offer quite a few more tools than iPhoto. For example, It has a timeline view of your photos which is kind of a slideshow with your photos grouped by month & year. You post pictures directly to chat sessions, blogs, create a collage. It also offers more filters and tuning tools than iPhoto like focused B&W, filtered B&W, highlights, fill light etc. All manipulated using sliders.

I think this is a great application for Windows users. The UI is simple and easy to use. Although the interface does not look as polished as iPhoto. It kinda looks fuzzy and soft. One thing they did to simulate the transperancy of OSX is when a action window pops up, they make the inactive window look out of focus.

If you have a windows PC and need to manage photos on there as well, this would be a great tool.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I downloaded it last night. It's good not great but i'll accept that because I need something decent to get my mother and girlfriend using them.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I just put it on my work PC, because I need something to go through the volumes of photos I take to document stuff (just snaps, but they add up) My immediate impresison is that on this old 1Ghz P3, it's faster than iPhoto on my Pb, by a noticable amount. I haven't really updated my iLife suite though, and am still in 10.2.8, and have been rather negligent about updates as of late.

One thing that will make this useful, does Picasa offer a way to compress TIFFs down to a manageable size? I'm scrounging together salvage office equipment here, and have added a scanner. It's an HP 3500c unit. Scan controls are minimal, but for documenting stuff, it will do. The unfortunate side effect is that legible scans tend to be HUGE, and not convenient for email. Does Picasa have what I need to remedy this?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I just put it on my work PC, because I need something to go through the volumes of photos I take to document stuff (just snaps, but they add up) My immediate impresison is that on this old 1Ghz P3, it's faster than iPhoto on my Pb, by a noticable amount. I haven't really updated my iLife suite though, and am still in 10.2.8, and have been rather negligent about updates as of late.

One thing that will make this useful, does Picasa offer a way to compress TIFFs down to a manageable size? I'm scrounging together salvage office equipment here, and have added a scanner. It's an HP 3500c unit. Scan controls are minimal, but for documenting stuff, it will do. The unfortunate side effect is that legible scans tend to be HUGE, and not convenient for email. Does Picasa have what I need to remedy this?

I thought it was slower on my 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 than iPhoto on my 600MHz iMac! Scrolling is awful though.