iPod Photo PC to Mac

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey everyone!

I've purchased an iPod Photo, BUT since Apple is driving everyone insane with curiousity; I HAVEN'T yet purchased my new Powerbook, SO I'll have the iPod Photo way before the Powerbook. Question is: if you (I understand) have to format it for PC use; and you code your songs, etc. and load them on; WHEN I get the Powerbook, I realize I'll have to reformat the iPod, but will the same song files still work. I won't have to recode all of those, right? From my own cds, I mean. Coding them so they work on the iPod. Also, does it come with cables for the PC and Mac for doing this; or do you have to purchase additional cables if using a PC (which seems sort of evil to me, LOL; BUT I get their hint. ;-) Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Actually, I believe that the PC-formatted (windows FAT32 format) iPod will work just fine with iTunes and the new Powerbook. The problem will be when you want to transfer the songs on your iPod to the Mac.

When you plug in the iPod to the Mac, it will ask you if you want to delete all the songs on the iPod and sync with this Mac. Say no! iTunes by itself can't take songs from the iPod and add them to its library. However, there are third-party shareware apps that will pull the songs from your iPod and put them into your Mac's iTunes library for you. Use one of them so you won't have to re-rip those songs. It's a bit of a pain to get this extra software, but it will save you a lot of time. (For the record, I don't think there are any freeware apps that do this, but you can use most of the shareware without paying, and they either have a time limit for its use, or it's more like donationware.)

As far as cables, the iPod comes with the firewire cable to plug into your Mac. The iPod can both sync and recharge through the Firewire cable. If your PC has a 6-in Firewire port, you're all set, the cable is in the box. If it only has 4-pin Firewire, you can buy a 6-pin to 4-pin adaptor. You can still sync with 4-pin Firewire, but you can't recharge the iPod with it. If the PC does not have any Firewire, Apple sells a separate iPod-to-USB2 cable.

HTH
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Knowing from experience, yes, your Powerbook will recognize a PC formatted iPod. You just need to use 3rd party software to get the music into your new iTunes library. But, the iPod Photo comes w/ a 6 to 4 pin adapter, as well, it has both a USB 2.0 cable and a Firewire cable.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    You would not even need third-party software when you copy your iTunes library onto the iPod's data section and drop it on your Mac. Or back it up on CD/DVD anc reimport it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathanaaron

Question is: if you (I understand) have to format it for PC use; and you code your songs, etc. and load them on; WHEN I get the Powerbook, I realize I'll have to reformat the iPod, but will the same song files still work.

You don't have to reformat your iPod. You can plug it into your Mac (Firewire or USB cable).

Quote:

I won't have to recode all of those, right? From my own cds, I mean. Coding them so they work on the iPod.

As you said it yourself: "coding them so they work on the iPod". Your iPod won't care where its songs have been coded - as long as they are in a format he understands (MP3, AAC, and some others - see the manual).

Quote:

Also, does it come with cables for the PC and Mac for doing this;

My iPod photo (40 GB) came with both Firewire-to-iPod and USB-to-iPod cable (bought the thing at the end of last month).

I think you want to ask yourself a different question: what will be the computer I will be using my iPod with? If it will be your PowerBook, I suggest that once it arrives, you make a "clean cut" with your music on your PC and transfer it ALL to your PowerBook, and from then on you'll use iTunes on your PowerBook only.

Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

You would not even need third-party software when you copy your iTunes library onto the iPod's data section and drop it on your Mac.

This would indeed be the simplest way.

You have to realize that your iPod really is tied to your iTunes library - and your iTunes can be EITHER on a Mac or on a PC.

I use my iPod photo with both a PC and an iBook. Contradiction to the things I've just said? No, because on the PC, I have all my music (and my iPod syncs with my iTunes on the PC), and on the iBook I have photos (in iPhoto) and my calendar (iCal) and contacts (Addressbook). iTunes on the Mac syncs my photos, and iSync handles calendar and contacts.

Again, your iPod really is ONLY on the RECEIVING end.

Hope this helps - and that you haven't fallen asleep by now!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Ok, I ramble. Let me clarify, I'm sorry everyone.

1) I have just received my iPod Photo (I'm so excited!) BUT:

2) I'm one of those crazy people (of the millions it seems) that are waiting for the Powerbook "bump" so WHENEVER Apple decides to announce that, I will purchase the laptop. However, right now I have no Mac computer (as I'm waiting.)

SO:

3) I only have a PC right now. My thoughts were "Darn I can't use my iPod right now, as I will want to use it with the Powerbook when I get that, and I'll go all Apple, goodbye PC." But CAN I use the iPod now, WITH my PC, and make a nice, smooth transition to the laptop, when I get it (hopefully SOON!) and not have to re-rip songs, or reformat the iPod, etc. Is it that easy?

Does that make more sense? I think I went in circles originally with my wording? Mind you this may have already been answered above in one form or another, but I wanted to make sure I made complete sense, just in case.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathanaaron

I only have a PC right now. My thoughts were "Darn I can't use my iPod right now, as I will want to use it with the Powerbook when I get that, and I'll go all Apple, goodbye PC." But CAN I use the iPod now, WITH my PC, and make a nice, smooth transition to the laptop, when I get it.

Yes, you can. See my previous post (wasn't I clear enough?).

Quote:

Is it that easy?

Yes, it is - again, see my previous post.

Hope this all helps you in making the transition eventually (and, judging from the news floating around, you will have new PowerBooks to choose from some time next month, although the revised offering will be a "minor" speed bump only) from iPod PC to iPod Mac - nice'n'easy.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    LOL I can be a bit slow at times! ;-) Thanks!