Mac Mini and ILife '05

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I purchased a Mac mini which should be arriving soon, but I also have a few other Macs that I want to put iLife '05 on. Since the Mac Mini comes with iLife 05, do I need to purchase it separately or can I install from the disk provided with the Mac Mini?

2 things to consider:

1. Apple Licensing: Am I entitled to install iLife on all of my Macs with a single purchase?

2. Install: Will the Mac Mini include a standard iLife install CD, or will it be hidden among the OSX install in such a manner that it will be difficult to pull out just those items?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    1 - No

2 - I am not sure, but I'm sure someone else has a better idea.

Can't you just drag the applications onto an iPod and then add them to the applications folder on the other macs?

The iLife on the Mac Mini is only intended for use with the Mac Mini though. That is what your purchase gives you, access to iLife 05 on your Mac Mini.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    There's a Family Pack available for iLife'05.

It lets you install iLife'05 on up to 5 macs within a household. That kinda answers your question, doesn't it?

Apple wouldn't be selling the Family Pack if they intended it to be installed on multiple macs within the same household.

That said, if you do want a license for each mac you own, this is a good buy as it'll be cheaper than buying 5 single licenses.

I own a iMac G5, the OSX Install Disc gives me the option of what to install when I boot from it. I would guess that the Mini has an Install Disc as well and this means you can boot from it and opt to install iLife'05 onto your other macs.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icebeng

There's a Family Pack available for iLife'05.

It lets you install iLife'05 on up to 5 macs within a household. That kinda answers your question, doesn't it?

Apple wouldn't be selling the Family Pack if they intended it to be installed on multiple macs within the same household.

That said, if you do want a license for each mac you own, this is a good buy as it'll be cheaper than buying 5 single licenses.

I own a iMac G5, the OSX Install Disc gives me the option of what to install when I boot from it. I would guess that the Mini has an Install Disc as well and this means you can boot from it and opt to install iLife'05 onto your other macs.

If you have tinker tools, click show hidden files and then you will see the iLife app installers in the DVD/CD that came with the Mac mini