Apple Mail

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to use Apple Mail, and quite using Entourage. My Entourage wroks seamlessly with my companies Exchange server, but I cannot get Mail to work.

My other gripe is that Mail does not seem to have any grammer rules built in. Like in Entourage, when you are typing fast and mess up, it will capitalize theh first letter of the sentence for you, or capitilize "i" for you, so you dont accidentally send email looking like a dodo.

Entourage also recognizes contractions. Again, it is usually the result of fast typiing, but it is so helpful when Entourage fixes "dont" to "don't" for you. In Mail, when you control-click 'dont', it doesnt have a clue that it should be the contraction for 'do not'.

You only notice these things when you type a lot of email, and you really notice when you have to go back in fix 3 times as many small typos.

Help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I don't use Mail.app, so I wouldn't really know. And I don't want to be the one suggesting a completely different client for a small problem, but Thunderbird is a very nice e-mail client.

You might want to check it out.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Thanks for th ereply, I will give it a try.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

I want to use Apple Mail, and quite using Entourage. My Entourage wroks seamlessly with my companies Exchange server, but I cannot get Mail to work.

My other gripe is that Mail does not seem to have any grammer rules built in. Like in Entourage, when you are typing fast and mess up, it will capitalize theh first letter of the sentence for you, or capitilize "i" for you, so you dont accidentally send email looking like a dodo.

Entourage also recognizes contractions. Again, it is usually the result of fast typiing, but it is so helpful when Entourage fixes "dont" to "don't" for you. In Mail, when you control-click 'dont', it doesnt have a clue that it should be the contraction for 'do not'.

You only notice these things when you type a lot of email, and you really notice when you have to go back in fix 3 times as many small typos.

Help.

Apple spell checker is like that. I think it's good it doesn't change your words for you, M$ is a pain; it would be nice if Apple did recognise doesnt though! But if Entourage works so well for you why switch at all?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Point taken. I guess I have feel like I made the switch a few years ago to Apple, but I cannot escape Big Brother.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I guess that as much as I have grown to love Apple, I am realizing that they have thier nich, and corporate America is not it.

Now that I am on this subject, I will move to another forum.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Point taken. I guess I have feel like I made the switch a few years ago to Apple, but I cannot escape Big Brother.

i would use entourage if it worked with the global address book, it seems silly to have two!
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I am torn. I love Address Book, but I hate iCal... I end up going back to Entourage. iWork will get me one step further away from MS, but damn that Apple Mail.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

I am torn. I love Address Book, but I hate iCal... I end up going back to Entourage. iWork will get me one step further away from MS, but damn that Apple Mail.

If only entourage would import addresses from Address Book, it would solve your problem. Well the next Office will support iSync, I think i heard, so only three years!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I just bought iWork today. Are you referring to a new office suite from Apple? Or will MS continue to do real development on Entourage?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

I just bought iWork today. Are you referring to a new office suite from Apple? Or will MS continue to do real development on Entourage?

I mean MS Office, yeah apparently the new version will sync and stuff. They're building the cool apple technologies into it
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Question, I have resolved myself to using Apple Mail. One thing that is kind of annoying to me is that when I recieve email from others, the font is little bitty, like 6 point. I have tried to change it in the prefs, but to no avail.

Can somebody help me out with this?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    They are sending you html mail and it is specifying that as the point size. This is the sender's fault. Mail.app is just accurately showing what they sent.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Question, I have resolved myself to using Apple Mail. One thing that is kind of annoying to me is that when I recieve email from others, the font is little bitty, like 6 point. I have tried to change it in the prefs, but to no avail.

Can somebody help me out with this?

i think if you press apple+option+P when viewing a message, it turns it into plain text.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i think if you press apple+option+P when viewing a message, it turns it into plain text.

Does not have any effect. Still little bitty fonts. Not from everybody, but just a few. They say that they have thier message font set to 12 pt...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    You can use View/Messsage/Raw Source to try to understand why this happens.

You can also use the key combination "command +" to enlarge the font. If the + key is over the = key then you need "command shift +". Each time you click this the font is enlarged. The same thing happens in Safari windows.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    The Command-shift-+ works. Thanks for the tip. When I look at the raw source, I don't know what I am looking for...