eMate 300

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was just given two eMate 300s. What are these things good for? Are there sources for software that runs on the Newton OS?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    The Newtons were the original palmtops, and the eMates were right in-between the original series of Newtons (such as the original 100) and the 2K series (such as the final product, the 2100). They had some of the advances of the 2k series, but not the horsepower.

There is still an active Newton community writing new software for their beloved devices (I am not one of them... liked them but never bought one), and sharing providers for replacement hardware and upgrades. One example would be the Newton Archives where you can get a feel for the software.

The eMates were perfect little computers for kids to write papers on. Very simple and VERY robust. They are simple enough devices that you can just let a kid go to town on them. I really wish that someone would build similar devices nowadays. I would not even be looking for much of an upgrade over the Newton 2K, but in the eMate clamshell (color screen would almost be required).

Think of it: simple web browsing and email with wireless and a tough case. I would buy one to use on my couch.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Thanks for the link Karl.

My four year old may have fun with the build in drawing app.

The batteries last about half an hour with the backlit off and just a few munutes with it on.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I know there were a bunch of how-to's and places that would sell batteries for the various Newton products, so you should have a look around for them. A quick google for "emate battery" got a few good hits on how to make your own batteries.