PDA phone with Mac Compatiblity

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am considering taking a plunge on a PDA phone and want to find one that works well with my Powerbook. The Treo 600, 650, Samsung I500 or something else?

I am currently on Verizon..and they don't seem too positive about the prospects of getting the Treo 650...so I either change carriers or consider other options.

Anybody have input or experiences they don't mind sharing?

Thanks

Greg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    I'm on Verizon and am using a Kyocera 7135 smartphone (Palm PDA). It's a nice unit. Verizon trys to upsell you to some type of data plan, but decline that (I've even heard some Verizon reps say it is required, but they are misinformed).

There are two types of data network connections that come standard and programmed on the phone: the Quick2Net and the ExpressNetwork. If you don't sign up for a data plan, then when you use the data connection it only uses your standard minutes. I just leave the setting on the Quick2Net (14.4K) for checking email. Works fine for me.

For this phone, you would just get the Palm Desktop and the the iSync update for Palm. This way, your iCal (calendar and to do) and Address Book will sync to you phone. Works Great!

Oh yeah, and most of those Verizon reps don't know that the Palm-based phones work flawlessly with Mac OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    robsrobs Posts: 6member
    I'm on Cingular. What's the best phone for me?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    If you can afford it, go for the Treo 650 and Mark/Space's "The Missing Sync" app. That'll let you sync up with Address Book, iCal, iTunes, iPhoto and more.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I have a Treo 600 with ATT wireless, err make that Cingular. The Phone functionally is great but I am a little disappointed with the usability of the PDA side of things. I find the device a little clumsy to use as a PDA as compared to my Tungsten T3.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I work in the industry so I can tell you that there should be a lot more availability once Tiger is released. Nokia for example has the 9500 and 9300 that use syncML and there should be a solution once Tiger is released. In the meantime I use a free syncML site like http://mobical.net which works pretty good. I love the 9300 and 6230.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I like the Sony Ericsson P800 & P910.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I am a very satisfied Treo 600 Cingular user. It's great.