Day 2, incorpate Mac mini into my daily work life

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Whelp. I had really enjoyed playing with the Mac mini all day yesterday. But now I really need to start "using" it. I do PHP programming for my organization, and remote control several servers/applications. So now starts my journey in installing VNC client/server on OSX, finding ways to remote desktop into computers, and of course Citrix into my Server Farms.

If anyone recommends any good Text editors I can use for my PHP programming I'd appreciate it. (I loved Ultra Edit on my PC)

Below is a picture of my desktop now with the Mac mini. I have dual monitor setup on my desktop, so they screens to the left and right of the Mac (Mac in middle) are the same computer. Both systems share the same keyboard and mouse, so if I find myself needing to use a Windows Application I can simply press (Scroll Lock)-(Scroll Lock)-(Down Arrow) and I'm switched.

Thanks again to everyone that helped me out yesturday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    My favorite text editor: http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I like Jedit (http://www.jedit.org) as a text editor. It's Java-based but it still runs pretty fast. It's got a boatload of options plus it's free, which is always good.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    rara Posts: 623member
    A lot of people like BBedit and TextWrangler; TextWrangler is a free, stripped down version of BBedit. I'm not sure if either one is any good with php though, sorry.

Do you have X11 installed? You can run Linux apps remotely with it.

And I've never used it, but Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection Client will let you connect to Windows remotely.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Citrix provides a native OS X client.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Hmm, is this Current Hardware or Software? 'Tis a bit of both.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I have tried many of them and have luck with the following:

BBEdit is awesome. I really like the way it works and all the options are very similar to what I had with Ultra Edit.

Thank you for the link to the Microsoft Remote Desktop. It was just what I needed in order to connect to my servers at remote locations.

And thank you for the Citrix Client recommendation. I found the click on Citrix site and it’s working perfectly.

I'm currently using CuteFTP for Mac 1.0 for my FTPing needs. I wish there was a way I could mount an ftp site to a Volume like I did on Windows mapping a FTP site to a Drive letter with a program called "Web Drive".

I have yet to had any problems that I felt I needed my Windows PC for today. (I have been connecting to its C drive over SMB a lot but that because most my documents/source code is still on the PC)

I wish Apple had a trail version of iWorks so I could see which I preferred better, over the Microsoft Office 2004 Demo. Word is fine, the email program is lacking, and Excel feels like I'm on the Pocket PC version. (Limiting yet not)

Switching hasn't been that hard of a task, thanks to everyone’s suggestions on applications that I can use to perform my command Tasks.

OH. 1 last thing. Is there any way I can make the scroll button on my mouse a 3rd mouse button click? Like in Windows I could hit my scroll button over a bookmark in Firefox and it would open in a new tab. Now I'm havin to right click the book mark and select New Tab. Its not really a big ordel, but if its just an education issue of me not knowing where to configure the scroll button I'd really like to know how.

Thanks!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

I'm currently using CuteFTP for Mac 1.0 for my FTPing needs. I wish there was a way I could mount an ftp site to a Volume like I did on Windows mapping a FTP site to a Drive letter with a program called "Web Drive".

That functionality is already built into the Finder in OS X. Try entering a ftp:// type URL in Safari (e.g. ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/)

Another nice ftp client that also does sftp is Fugu.

Michael
  • Reply 8 of 12
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I also like Fugu, although I'm not an advanced user or anything so I don't know if it's "powerful" or not.

For the mouse, just go to the company website and download a driver for it and I imagine you'll be able to configure it however you want.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I just need to get this stereotype out of my head that Microsoft doesn’t support the Macintosh. For I would never had though to try to get drivers for my Optical Intellimouse since it’s a Microsoft mouse. (Why would they right Mac drivers for a pc product)? But I guess they sell optical mice to Macintosh users, as well for sure enough there was drivers on their site. I downloaded and installed them with no problems. I still haven’t figured out what to assign the 3rd mouse button to be able to do my open in new tab click in Firefox, but at least now I do have the option to play around with it.

Thanks again for all the help. Hope everyone has a great night/weekend!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by surbahns

I still havenâ??t figured out what to assign the 3rd mouse button to be able to do my open in new tab click in Firefox, but at least now I do have the option to play around with it.

Strange, this should work right away, unless you try it in a browser that does not support tabs (not the case of Firefox). Anyway, instead of opening the menu to tell what to do, you can command-click to open a link in a new tab (command is the key with the apple logo on it).
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by surbahns

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I have tried many of them and have luck with the following:

BBEdit is awesome. I really like the way it works and all the options are very similar to what I had with Ultra Edit.

Thank you for the link to the Microsoft Remote Desktop. It was just what I needed in order to connect to my servers at remote locations.

And thank you for the Citrix Client recommendation. I found the click on Citrix site and it’s working perfectly.

I have yet to had any problems that I felt I needed my Windows PC for today. (I have been connecting to its C drive over SMB a lot but that because most my documents/source code is still on the PC)

I wish Apple had a trail version of iWorks so I could see which I preferred better, over the Microsoft Office 2004 Demo. Word is fine, the email program is lacking, and Excel feels like I'm on the Pocket PC version. (Limiting yet not)

Switching hasn't been that hard of a task, thanks to everyone’s suggestions on applications that I can use to perform my command Tasks.

OH. 1 last thing. Is there any way I can make the scroll button on my mouse a 3rd mouse button click? Like in Windows I could hit my scroll button over a bookmark in Firefox and it would open in a new tab. Now I'm havin to right click the book mark and select New Tab. Its not really a big ordel, but if its just an education issue of me not knowing where to configure the scroll button I'd really like to know how.

Thanks!

You can also go to the "go" menu in the finder and click on "connect to server" enter the FTP address in there and then click the plus sign to add it to your favorites if you connect to it all the time.

That way you can just click on go and connect to server and then click on the server and connect- no need to type anything.

I'm sure there's some applescript you could write that you would launch and it would do all this for you, but I don't know applescript.

Enjoy!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    For your scroll wheel button, may I suggest making it invoke exposé?

That's what I do with mine, and I find it invaluable!