Force a Powerbook to use external monitor as startup monitor?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

I've got a laptop (800mhz Titanium) with a non-working LCD. I've hooked up an external monitor, which works fine.

Except, I can't get to the menus, drives, etc. because they are displaying on the broken LCD (which I can't see).

Is there a way during startup to force the laptop to use the external monitor as the "main" monitor -- so I can access menus?

Anyone have any tips? Any way to get access to the system prefs so I can change the display settings?

PS - I will be posting this in a couple of different forums, my apologies in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Are you using an external mouse & keyboard? If so, have them connected and also connect the external monitor. Wait until it comes up and then shut the lid on the laptop. It works with my PB 12" and bluetooth mouse and keyboard, so I'm guessing it'll work for you.

I'm afraid I'm all out of suggestions if you don't have an external keyboard and mouse. Actually, maybe locate the switch that tells the Mac when the lid is shut and have it always on. My dad's IBM Thinkpad had a simple push switch to do this, but it was more visable than on a PowerBook...

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Are you using an external mouse & keyboard? If so, have them connected and also connect the external monitor. Wait until it comes up and then shut the lid on the laptop. It works with my PB 12" and bluetooth mouse and keyboard, so I'm guessing it'll work for you.

I'm afraid I'm all out of suggestions if you don't have an external keyboard and mouse. Actually, maybe locate the switch that tells the Mac when the lid is shut and have it always on. My dad's IBM Thinkpad had a simple push switch to do this, but it was more visable than on a PowerBook...

Good luck.

I do have an external keyboard/mouse. I'll give this a try. Thanks for the help!