iPod shuffle Advanced Options: new Firmware coming?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
  • Reply 2 of 3
  • Reply 3 of 3
    some of the images dont load properly, ill try to fiz it. anyway, they're here:

3 images

Hi, this is NOT insider info, just a lot of personal R&D after Macworld, trying to find out whether it was possible to improve the new iPod shuffle, with a simple FIRMWARE UPDATE. And it is. Just take a look.

Not having an LCD, the iPshuffle it's been designed to be a simple "load and play" device. Well, I think the current interface allows the player to have MANY MORE FEATURES and still be very simply to operate. Any of the 10 million iPod users would be at home with this new "improved iPshuffle". What's (would be) new:

-unlimited flexibility regarding its use as a USB memory device.

-faster navigation thru its contents

-Playlist capability.

Before you ask, i will answer 4 questions in advance:

1) WHY?

Two reasons, to turn it into a much better player (with a simple firmware upgrade), and to answer demands from targeted customers, specially regarding requests about audiobooks organisation and different playlists abilities, and from windows and linux users.

2) If you want those features, why not buy a regular ipod?

because this new iPshuffle has things unique to it, that other iPods don't:

-Price: for ?99, if stolen or lost, it can be bearable.

-Size: so small it's very easy to carry everyday, everywhere

-Weight: if dropped, not as prone to get broken as the other ipods

-Flash media: music won't skip if you're jogging or parachuting

-USB: a very useful pen drive that works on ALL platforms

3) Would this improving firmware cannibalize sales from the other ipods?

Absolutely not. The more expensive iPods have way bigger capacities and a LCD screen, which not only gives more info about the tunes, but opens up possibilities to have calendars, games, memo texts, record speeches...

4) "Advanced mode", too difficult to operate?

I don't think so. Any of the current 10 Million iPod owners would qualificate as an "advanced user here", and this improved interface would be a piece of cake for them to het through.

Besides, this "Advanced User Mode" uses button presses that Apple ALREADY has implemented into the iPshuffle for it's "simple use". As follows:

-single press

-hold press for 3 seconds

-3 consecutive click presses

Anyhow, it would be optional, "buried" into the iPod preferences. Just more features for those who want them, easy, and for free.

I know it's difficult that Apple will implements all this. But hey, If they don't, maybe someone could get into the the iPshuffle's OS and do it for us?

Opinions?

PS: i'm sending APPLE all this. Maybe they can seriously consider it.

jindrich.