Frustrating Mac OS Keyboard Shortcuts

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay. I'll admit it. I've been wiped by Microsoft all my life. So its gotten ingrained in my head that certain things should happen in all applications. (Like Copy and Paste). I've gotten adjusted to having to use Apple C,Apple V instead of Control. However, moving from the beginning of a line to the end of a line is driving me NUTZ.

Example

Say I wanted to get back to the beginning of this line

^ I would press Home, and it would send my cursor right in-front of Say. End would of course send me to right after e in line.

On a mac, it sends me to the TOP of the document for home and Bottom of the document for end. I know there has to be a keyboard shortcut to do this, and if I can't by chance get it ingrained in my head, is there any way I can change but the Home and End buttons do on my keyboard and associate it to this function.

Thank you in advance, and again I great appreciate everyones help as I'm learning this new system.

-Stuart

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Control + arrow key <- or ->

That drives me nuts too.

Eric
  • Reply 2 of 10
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Control + arrow key <- or ->

That drives me nuts too.

Eric

In word processing and most other programs it's Command + arrow key to go to the start or end of a line (command is the one with the apple on it) and Option + arrow keys to jump from word to word.

One really nice thing is that if you're in a text field you can just push up arrow or down arrow to get to the beginning or end of the text in that field. And in many programs (like appleworks) if you're on the last line of text and you want to move the cursor to the end, you just have to push the down arrow.

--B
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Thanks a million. Good to know I'm not alone on that issue.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

In word processing and most other programs it's Command + arrow key to go to the start or end of a line (command is the one with the apple on it) and Option + arrow keys to jump from word to word.

One really nice thing is that if you're in a text field you can just push up arrow or down arrow to get to the beginning or end of the text in that field. And in many programs (like appleworks) if you're on the last line of text and you want to move the cursor to the end, you just have to push the down arrow.

--B

The control and option keys work for me.

Which key is the command key?

Eric
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

The control and option keys work for me.

Which key is the command key?

Eric

In programs like Appleworks, control + Arrow key will change the tabs all over the place.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 10
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

--B

That's the most annoying thing about windows, pressing down and not doing anything! Although Firefox doesn't support it. It drives me crazy.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

That's the most annoying thing about windows, pressing down and not doing anything! Although Firefox doesn't support it. It drives me crazy.

When you type in

"www.bn.com"

and the URL autofills all this shite

"www.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=x47fEgoAvR&isbn=0679727264& itm=1"

it's nice to just Shift + down arrow and delete that crap. But the best is in word processing. When I use Winblows, I have to "simulate" this functionality by adding an extra carriage return below my last line so that I down arrow then left arrow back to the end of the penultimate line. A fricking drag.

[reminiscing] When I was a babe and we had eWorld (remember!?!!) my dad said that I was borna PC-user because I used keyboard shortcuts and arrows for everything. How the tables have turned. [/reminiscing]

Now I've got my balls in a bunch because I can't seem to figure out how to toggle my Camino tabs. It says on the Mozilla site that it's ctrl + arrows, but not on Jaguar, apparently. If I had Panther, I could SysPref it, I think.

--B
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Holy Shiznitt!!

So much reminiscing that I typed in http://www.eworld.com and it took me to Apple!!

*Shedding a tear for eWorld and what could have been*

*Make that two, another one for the Newton and Pippin too, darnitt!*

--B
  • Reply 9 of 10
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Now I've got my balls in a bunch because I can't seem to figure out how to toggle my Camino tabs. It says on the Mozilla site that it's ctrl + arrows, but not on Jaguar, apparently. If I had Panther, I could SysPref it, I think.

--B

Yup you can, but they don't always work, in ITunes anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    You know, you could have changed the Mac behavior to Windows (cntrl + c to copy, etc) by just setting that option in the keyboard & mouse preference pane...