Aluminum Surface of PowerBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This is a question to all Alu PB G4 owners...

What do you use to keep the machine's surface clean? In my experience the aluminum is very nice at not scratching, but unfortunately stains very easily. I have white stains all over the surface.

What causes these? Is it just sweat from our hands and other oily substances skin secretes? More importantly, how do you clean them off?

I've tried using soft tissues and warm water, but it doesn't seem to work. Would alcohol be safe to use for cleaning?

And for the record, I'm not willing to purchase fancy cleaning solutions to do this. I'm looking for an in-home solution, if available.

Any tips appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Use rubbing alcohol. The cause is sweat/hand grease. Rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) is perfectly safe -- I have used methanol in the past but that isn't commonly available.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I use that too. I work in a hospital and use those "prep pads" to clean it.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I'm not going to ask how you got white stains all over your Powerbook.

Thanks for the mental image.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    I've used a little windex sprayed on paper towels. It works, but can streak if you don't wipe up/rinse with a dry paper towel or paper towel with just water.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Saw this thread yesterday and tried the rubbing alchohol on my 12" Alubook. Worked great! Thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I'm not going to ask how you got white stains all over your Powerbook.

By using it in a fully appropriate manner, fully clothed. Why? What did *you* think?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I shall try this so called "alcohol"! I'll let you know how it worked on mine. If it works I'll feel like a doofus 'cause I bought about $25.00 worth of powerbook cleaning supplies, when I first bought mine.