Hard Disks?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi All,

I have a spec question about the Apple Mac G5 range but I will get to that in a moment or two, first here is what I have found out already about cross platform integration.

Ram is the same as the Ram used by Pc's so it can be bout cheaper or higher performance ram can be bout in replacement to apples branded stuff.

Some say that the DVD and CD-Rom drives can be used from a PC, in an Apple Mac G5, although I don't no why you would won't to, but it can be dune.

also certain graphics cards can also be used once the bios of the card has bean flashed, so there is the possibility of better graphics card with more ram and power.

So that brings me to my question,

Q) Is it possible to by a serial ATA drive from a pc manufactory and use it in a G5 Mac, and if so what do you have to do to the disk to make this possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    So dose no one now or your just not intrested?

becouse it is possable to buy a 10,000 RPM drive wich is suposed to be faster the raid 0 and thats saying something.

Or you can get a 400Gb with 8mb of cashe running at 7,500 RPM and there is mass storage if that you faver.

so if you now any thing at all speak now or forever hold your peace.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Black Dragon

Q) Is it possible to by a serial ATA drive from a pc manufactory and use it in a G5 Mac, and if so what do you have to do to the disk to make this possible?

Yes. A low level format is sometimes reqd to get the disk ready for use..other than that its all the same drive.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Cool

so there is no pre software to install or anything i need to get rid of as such.

now here are some specs of a drive i though would well make you mac go faster.

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6B300SO SATA 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-040-MD)

Based on an integrated, single-chip native SATA solution, DiamondMax 10 drives feature native command queuing along with the company?s exclusive dual-processor technology and large buffers to deliver unparalleled speeds compared to traditional drives in their class. This unique set of features combined with Maxtor?s latest firmware technology, allows the drive to self-balance its workloads for a more efficient hard drive operation. With DiamondMax 10 hard drive-enabled systems, consumers can easily run multiple applications, such as games and music, at the same time without overwhelming the PC. Designed for multimedia PC users, graphic artists, system integrators and white box builders, the 7200 RPM DiamondMax 10 drives are offered in capacities of up to 300GB and are ideal for performance desktop computing storing high-resolution images, multimedia content, and personal and business information.

- Formatted capacity: 300GB

- Average seek time: <9.0

- Rotational speed: 7200 RPM

- 16MB cache buffer

- SATA/150 Interface

- Native Command Queuing

- Fluid Dynamic Bearings

- Maxtor Shock Protection System

- Maxtor Data Protection System

- 3 year manufacturer's warranty

or

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-015-WD)

Designed for servers and NAS/SAN systems, the drive of choice for high- performance workstation and gaming systems, the WD Raptor hard drive is a new class of drive that matches SCSI performance and reliability while providing simplified connectivity. Killer Speed - World?s fastest Serial ATA drive: 10,000 RPM, 4.5 ms seek. Backed by a full 5-year manufacturer's warranty.

- Rotational Speed: 10,000 RPM

- Capacity: 74.4GB

- Average Read Seek Time: 4.5 ms

- Buffer: 8MB

- Interface: Serial ATA

- 5 year manufacturer's warranty

wow look at that seek time and RPM that will make your Mac work a lot faster.

and whats IBM got, well here not so fast but lots and lots of dick space.

Hitachi Deskstar 7K400 400GB SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-022-IB)

Hitachi has a long tradition of enhancing each generation of disk drive. The latest model, the Deskstar 7K400, contains several design features that help to protect customer data while enabling increased capacity and maintaining performance. These features provide quick access to and protection of user?s valuable data. The features include, a new spindle motor, the rotational vibration safeguard, the load / unload ramp and an anti-rebound actuator latch, protecting the data area.

- 400GB capacity

- 8MB cache buffer

- SATA interface
  • Reply 4 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I just purchased a new 300 GB Seagate Barracuda for my G5. Its a good performer but its also quiet.

I installed in in Bay B.

I think that SATA doesn't have the performance issues associated with standard PATA (no master/slave drives), but I wanted confirmation from someone in the know.

If I had to, its very easy to switch the drives, and if I will get better performance from bay A, I'd do it in a second.