Current PBs good for Core Image?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If I were to buy a PB today (or wait a few days to see if there are updates ) will the 64MB graphics card be adequate for all the cool new Core Image stuff in Tiger?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Apple used to have a list of cards in their website that were 'good' for CoreImage and the current PB's card was one of them. Now that list is gone, and there is no indication as to which ones will be and which ones won't.

I would think it would be fine, but I am not sure.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    The answer is yes. The ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 is included on the "Core Image-ready" graphics card list.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

The answer is yes. The ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 is included on the "Core Image-ready" graphics card list.

Thanks. Does this hold true for the NVIDIA GeForce FX

Go5200 in the 12" model?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    n3on3o Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyb

Thanks. Does this hold true for the NVIDIA GeForce FX

Go5200 in the 12" model?

EDIT: YES, it does hold true for NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200.

The performance gains and features supported by Core Image ultimately depend on the graphics card. Graphics cards capable of pixel-level programming deliver the best performance. But Core Image automatically scales as appropriate for systems with older graphics cards, for compatibility with any Tiger-compatible Mac.

Supported graphics cards:

ATI Radeon 9800 XT

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

ATI Radeon 9600 XT

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

ATI Mobility Radeon 9600

NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200

NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra

Anyway, even with not supported video cards, you would still be able to enjoy Core Image experience.

"computers without a programmable GPU, Core Image dynamically optimizes for the CPU, automatically tuning for Velocity Engine and multiple processors as appropriate."

Core Image

Core Image rules.

n3o

• Reply 5 of 12
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

If I were to buy a PB today (or wait a few days to see if there are updates ) will the 64MB graphics card be adequate for all the cool new Core Image stuff in Tiger?

The new PowerBooks should have 128MB GPUs in the high-end 15" and 17" versions
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

That's good to know but unfortunately I think my budget will only stretch to a 12"
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

That's good to know but unfortunately I think my budget will only stretch to a 12"

well hopefully they'll offer it as an option in the 12" and the 15" combo?!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Do you think it will make a noticable difference with 128MB on the 15" 1280x854 screen?

After all it's another $100...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by palled

Do you think it will make a noticable difference with 128MB on the 15" 1280x854 screen?

It will. Max it out and you'll be thankful when Tiger arrives.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by palled

I ordered my PB with 128MB GPU - 30" support and also I'm going to run motion. If you're going to use any graphics programs or anything powerful then get it (if your not get an iBook!!!)
  • Reply 11 of 12
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    From the list it looks like Core Image needs at least some sort of programmable vertex sharder support (equivalent of MS DirectX 9).

This is also consistent with the fact that Radeon 9200 is absent from the list since the processor is actually a mildly crippled version of the one that appears on 8500 and does not have programmable vertex shader engine.

In the case of 9200, the Core Image will probably dump the shader vector calculus onto the CPU. I'm not an expert on the G5 architecture, but G5/G4 probably has vector calculus instruction coded in hardware (like Intel's SSE/SSE2/SSE3) and the hit on the CPU performance will be quite minimal unless lost of complex visual effects are rendered at the same time. For casual business user it will do just fine.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

In the case of 9200, the Core Image will probably dump the shader vector calculus onto the CPU. I'm not an expert on the G5 architecture, but G5/G4 probably has vector calculus instruction coded in hardware (like Intel's SSE/SSE2/SSE3) and the hit on the CPU performance will be quite minimal unless lost of complex visual effects are rendered at the same time. For casual business user it will do just fine.

Correct. Apple says that in computers without a programmable GPU, Core Image will try to use Altivec, the vector unit that every G4 and G5 has. Core Image is also multi-processor optimized (see previous link).